Your memories of the sheffield "tigers" speedway

mh01

I remember going to Owlerton in what must have been the early 60s when the Tigers had won the Northern Trophy . The riders were going round the track , all sat on the tractor that dragged the mesh round to smooth the track, showing the trophy to the fans,when captain Guy Allott slipped of the mud guard and was dragged under the wire mesh . He was badly injured and was in hospital for weeks. I think it just about finished his career. Does anyone else remember this happening?

I can confirm that the tractor incident happened as Guy was later to win a damages award but don't think I was in attendance so can't remember the fixture but I would guess at '65/66 ish?

I remember going to Owlerton in what must have been the early 60s when the Tigers had won the Northern Trophy . The riders were going round the track , all sat on the tractor that dragged the mesh round to smooth the track, showing the trophy to the fans,when captain Guy Allott slipped of the mud guard and was dragged under the wire mesh . He was badly injured and was in hospital for weeks. I think it just about finished his career. Does anyone else remember this happening?

Yes Dave I was there that night and I think it was the Northern Trophy that they were parading round the track, the tractor was being driven by a sponser not the track staff. Roughly three quarters way round coming round the top bend the tractor seemed to brake, shooting Guy who was holding the cup aloft, off the front of the tractor, then for some reason the driver carried on and dragged the grader over the unfortunate Allott, well thats how I remember it, as you say it did finish Guy's speedway career.

I can confirm that the tractor incident happened as Guy was later to win a damages award but don't think I was in attendance so can't remember the fixture but I would guess at '65/66 ish?

Yes , I was there. Possibly with the Harris's. I was at the far end and being a youngster at the time didn't realise what was happening.

Apologies Davekowl - tractor accident happened in 1962.

ALLOTT, Guy - Born: Penistone, South Yorkshire 19 September 1922

Started his career at Sheffield in 1949 and had two season at Owlerton before the Tigers closed in 1950. Continued riding throughout the fifties, most notably with Cradley, Bradford and Leicester before rejoining the Tigers in 1961. Guy was a heat leader at Owlerton when he fell from the tractor on a victory parade in 1962 and suffered severe hand injuries which meant he had to retire. A renowned engine tuner, Guy owns a motorcycle shop in Buxton.

Matches Points

87 604

http://www.sheffield-tigers.co.uk/atoz.html#AAS

Geoffusa some details i've found of the Silver Sash 1961.

April 6 Rick France Middlesbrough beat Stuart Hickman Sheffield, at Middlesbrough.

April !3 Dick Cambell Edinburgh beat Rick France Middlesbrough, at Middlesbrough.

April 15 Graham Warren Wolverhampton beat Dick Campbell Edinburgh, at Edinburgh.

April 27 Graham Warren Wolverhampton beat Eric Boothroyd Middlesbrough, at Middlesbrough.

April 28 Graham Warren Wolverhamton Beat Brian Craven Stoke, at Wolverhampton.

May 5 Dick Campbell Edinburgh beat Graham Warren Wolverhampton, at Wolverhampton.

May 6 Dick Campbell Edinburgh beat Jack Scott Plymouth, at Edinburgh.

May 20 Dick Campbell Edinburgh beat Ivor Brown Cradley Heath, at Edinburgh.

June 3 Ivor Brown Cradley Heath beat Dick Campbell Edinburgh, at Cradley Heath.

June 10 Ivor Brown Cradley Heath beat Clive Featherby Sheffield, at Cradley Heath.

June 12 Ivor Brown Cradley Heath beat Don Wilkinson Newcastle, at Newcastle.

July 15 Ivor Brown Cradley Heath beat Rick France Middlesbrough, at Cradley Heath.

July 20 Ray Harris Stoke Beat Ivor Brown Cradley Heath, at Stoke.

July 22 Doug Templeton Edinburgh beat Ray Harris Stoke, at Edinburgh.

July 27 Guy Allott Sheffield beat Doug Templeton Edinburgh, at Sheffield.

August 7 Gil Goldfinch Newcastle beat Tony Robinson Sheffield, at Newcastle.

August 10 Tommy Roper Middlesbrough beat Gil Goldfinch Newcastle, at Middlesbrough.

August 17 Tommy Roper Middlesbrough beat Wayne Briggs Edinburgh, at Middlesbrough.

August 19 Eric Boothroyd Middlesbrough beat Doug Templeton Edinburgh, at Edinburgh.

August 21 Eric Boothroyd Middlesbrough beat Gil Goldfinch Newcastle, at Newcastle.

August 24 Eric Boothroyd Middlesbrough beat Eric Hockaday Stoke, at Middlesbrough.

August 31 Eric Boothroyd Middlesbrough Beat Bob Thomas Rayleigh, at Middlesbrough.

September 7 Gil Goldfinch Newcastle Beat Eric Boothroyd Middlesbrough, at Middlesbrough.

September 9 Ken Adams Stoke Beat Gil Goldfinch Newcastle, at Stoke.

Thanks for that SSB. There are some great riders on the list and I must confess to really looking forward to when the "Sash" was coming up.

Geoff

Apologies Davekowl - tractor accident happened in 1962.

ALLOTT, Guy - Born: Penistone, South Yorkshire 19 September 1922

Started his career at Sheffield in 1949 and had two season at Owlerton before the Tigers closed in 1950. Continued riding throughout the fifties, most notably with Cradley, Bradford and Leicester before rejoining the Tigers in 1961. Guy was a heat leader at Owlerton when he fell from the tractor on a victory parade in 1962 and suffered severe hand injuries which meant he had to retire. A renowned engine tuner, Guy owns a motorcycle shop in Buxton.

Matches Points

87 604

http://www.sheffield-tigers.co.uk/atoz.html#AAS

Hi CB. Some time back I am sure we discussed Deroll Melbin. I seem to remember you quoting his name in a first team riders sheet. I recall Pete and Dave insisting we stay behind to watch the Reserves after the main event especially to watch Melbin and his flying scarf. Yes and true to form he fell off. Watched him many times after that and, yes, he fell off. It appears it was his claim to fame although he was a tough guy who always got up and was great entertainment.

Regards CB

Geoff

Hi CB. Some time back I am sure we discussed Deroll Melbin. I seem to remember you quoting his name in a first team riders sheet. I recall Pete and Dave insisting we stay behind to watch the Reserves after the main event especially to watch Melbin and his flying scarf. Yes and true to form he fell off. Watched him many times after that and, yes, he fell off. It appears it was his claim to fame although he was a tough guy who always got up and was great entertainment.

Regards CB

Geoff

Mad as a hatter, I thought. Stats didn't speak for him!

MELBIN, Derrol - Born: Northam, Australia 29 March 1933

Arrived in Britain in 1960 and soon found himself at Owlerton where, despite the lack of points, he found himself a folk hero with the Sheffield crowd. His spectacular and fearless riding style caused him to fall on an all too regular basis and earned him the nickname of 'Spider'. Unable to win a regular place, he did stay for four years at Sheffield but only scored 47 league points during that time.

Matches Rides Points Bonus Total Average

23 66 48 12 60 3.64

Not sure when 47 = 48? but he's yer man. Guess there have to be some poor Australian sportsmen?

Derrol Melbin: What a disappointment, he was going to be Sheffield's Aussie star, the media saying Owlerton should be made for him, but he struggled to hold a reserve berth. As Geoffusa says Derrol wore a womans sheer chiffon head scarf tied round his neck, tied so the two tails streamed behind in the slipstream, the only trouble being he didn't go fast enough to create much of a slipstream.

Archived