Yorkshire Water

Here is Yorkshire Water's table for estimating the annual water charge with a meter vs. a fixed amount according to rateable value:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Water.jpg ...(click to enlarge)

I saved almost half of the cost of water by having a meter installed - this for two people in a 2-bedroom bungalow.

Try doin the overnight test with your meter, if poss. You never know there could be a leak. Make sure your not using any water, take a reading from your meter black AND red numbers, go to bed, then next morn before you go to lav or make a cuppa check your meter, if its moved then your losing water and paying for it. My mum discovered she had a leak on the supply pipe on her drive after her bill rocketed.

I remember the days when we could use water for free. Is there a way of privatising fresh air?! :-)

There probably could be a way of doing that, if you could actually find some fresh air that is. :hihi:

We're in a 4 bed detached with a water meter and pay £264/annum. Got a fish tank, pond and wash the car (not as often as I should I'll admit). I also wash out 2 cat litter trays on a regular basis, so it's a water meter for me every time.

What I want to know is that if just £2 a month can give fresh water to a 3rd world village for a month, why the hell we are paying all this money a year

It probably can't. If it ever could it would have been because of the exchange rate.

Here is Yorkshire Water's table for estimating the annual water charge with a meter vs. a fixed amount according to rateable value:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Water.jpg ...(click to enlarge)

I saved almost half of the cost of water by having a meter installed - this for two people in a 2-bedroom bungalow.

I have just looked at this and was shocked,i knew i was better off with water meter but not as much as this.......my detached bungalow had a water meter fitted when i moved in 12 years ago and at first i was a little dubious....

the rateable value of my home is £400............on a meter last year i paid £32 a quarter plus £100 a year for sewerage and surface water,whilst there are only two of us i do have a large garden what gets lots of water in the summer months............the useage on a meter is charged by volume per cubic metre about 110p per cube.....there are about 264 gallons of water per cubic metre so this gives some idea of how much water you have to use to get bills of £400 plus.........my previous home was £200 a year rateable value but on the rates system and i am paying the same to less than i was then......:)

Hi all

I have just received my water bill for the upcoming year. It's £505. Now im not sure if i'm been taken for an idiot or not. Does that seem high to anybody? Im not on a meter it's based on rates. 3 Bed detached house. cheers...

Where abouts are you? I asked my mom this based on a previous thread about bills and was horrified to hear she said around 500 too- maybe they're overestimating and owe you a rebate if you can get a reading.

For a property with a rateable value of about £200 (quite likely for a 3-bed detached house) the water bill would be over £500. If, say, three people lived there, a metered bill would most likely be less than this, and could still be less with four people if usage was low - see the link in post #64 above.

Archived