Memories of shopping in seventies Sheffield

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone remember Impulse at the top of Cambridge Street?

It used to be a greasers shop but we used to go in to play the computer games. Always used to whiff of hippy juice.That was early / mid '80's.

There was also Amazing Records further down Cambridge St which was brilliant for finding old singles.

Does anyone remember the shop called "Lift up your skirts and fly" It was just behind the Peace Gardens. Very trendy boutique

Is this the one on Union street?...I thought it was called "Improvisions". Best coloured loons in town

No one has mentioned Pippy's, it was up a street opposite Suggs I think

and also does anyone know when the Green Shield Stamp shop closed down?

Pippy's are mentioned loads of times.

I don't see any reference to Wigfalls though.

Bardwells electronics, used to be around the SUFC grounds somewhere...now on Abbeydale Rd....hi Reg if you read this:thumbsup:

What brilliant memories you all have :)

I was only 10 in the mid 70's but I do remember a little craft type shop on chapel walk that had a downstairs to it, I remember it sold lots of beads and those dolls that sat on toilet rolls with a crochet dress over. lol.

Also remember a clothes shop that was up the ramp at the side of the entrance to the sheaf market, remember getting my cord dungaree's from there late 70's and also a trendy clothes shop up on the gallery, sure it was called bubbles or something like that!

Can anyone else remember?

x

Is this the one on Union street?...I thought it was called "Improvisions". Best coloured loons in town

Pippy's are mentioned loads of times.

I don't see any reference to Wigfalls though.

Bardwells electronics, used to be around the SUFC grounds somewhere...now on Abbeydale Rd....hi Reg if you read this:thumbsup:

I saved up for ages to buy a digital watch from Wigfalls in Fitzallan Square.It was one of those red ones where you had to press a button to see the time.What a stupid idea,but at the time,so cool!

I saved up for ages to buy a digital watch from Wigfalls in Fitzallan Square.It was one of those red ones where you had to press a button to see the time.What a stupid idea,but at the time,so cool!

I remember getting my temp passport (no chance of that now) from the main PO. On that day 2 guys walked into Wiggies with clipboard and wearing Wigfall smocks. They had a trolly and van parked right on the front. Told the assistant they had orders from head office to transfer to another shop location because of low stock..that takes bottle when you consider there was always police on that square.:hihi:

What brilliant memories you all have :)

Also remember a clothes shop that was up the ramp at the side of the entrance to the sheaf market, remember getting my cord dungaree's from there late 70's and also a trendy clothes shop up on the gallery, sure it was called bubbles or something like that!

Can anyone else remember?

x

Was that round the corner from BHS? I remember buying a pair of chords (size 8!!) from a little shop round there :D

Used to go in C&A quite a bit back then :P

Yes, round the corner from BHS on the gallery on the right hand side heading towards the market.

I bought my first pair black straight leg cords from there too, size 8 the same, those where the days, mind you I was only 15:)