Memories of shopping in seventies Sheffield

• 1 year later...
Can anyone help - I'm pulling together info for a book the celebrates the Sheffield city centre (and possibly suburbs) shopping experience of the early seventies.

I'm after department stores/fashion/food/music/special interest - you name it.

Here's my list so far - can anyone add to it/have quirky stories/memories they'd like to share? I'd be very grateful:

Atkinsons, Cockaynes, Pauldons, Walshes, Asda, Fine Fare, Redgates, Thrifty, Blanchards, B&C, Peter Dominic, Alex Owen TVs, Brentford Nylon, Harringtons, Cole Brothers and Robert Brothers.

And does anyone possess a shopping guide to the era in Sheffield? Was there such a thing???

I was provisions manager at Thrifty Pond Street about 1972, a very downbeat supermarket with a wimp for a store manager and sh*t of an assistant manager. I have never come up against more "needy " women before or since! So I had a good time, lol

That reminds me of March the tailor on the Moor, and the time they cheated me. There was a promo on where you got 6 pairs of stockings with every purchase. I bought a coat but the very snooty assistant tried to refuse me the stockings (can't remember on what grounds) I stood up for my rights but only managed to prise 3 pairs out of her. I bet she took the rest.

I know its an old thread but remember the slogan, March the tailors dress you well, impress you well. I also remember Wigfalls, Pauldens, C & A god memories.

Fattorinies jewellers on High St ( got my wedding ring from there 1974 )

Van Allan .. ladies clothes shop on Fargate

The Attic .. best sandwich shop in town

Dolcies .. shoe shop

The Scholl shop .. on Fargate

YEB showroom ( I worked there in the 70s )

Card shop on the gallery above Castle market ( can't think of the name )

Realize this will be too late for the OP as it's an old thread but thought it might bring back a few memories.

I had my ears pierced at a stall in the market called Paynes in about 1976. Very aptly named - none of your quick gun piercings in those days!
Reminds me of Nurse Payne who stuck a needle in my bum in the Infirmary....:(. A 1970s directory shows "Mrs H. Payne, fancy goods, 86 Castle Market".

Fattorinies jewellers on High St ( got my wedding ring from there 1974 )

Van Allan .. ladies clothes shop on Fargate

The Attic .. best sandwich shop in town

Dolcies .. shoe shop

The Scholl shop .. on Fargate

YEB showroom ( I worked there in the 70s )

Card shop on the gallery above Castle market ( can't think of the name )

Realize this will be too late for the OP as it's an old thread but thought it might bring back a few memories.

It has! How many shoe shops just on high street? Saxone,Dolcy,fhw,Timpsons? You could walk the town from market to bottom of moor just shoe shopping.:love: