Memories of shopping in seventies Sheffield

Can anyone remember the sausage what the wimpy bars used to serve? It was in a horse shoe shape if I recall.....I used to think it was lovely...LOL...my god..how times have changed....I can also remember wearing oxford bag trousers..ben sherman shirt..and a crombie overcoat...I think thats what they called it...all passed down to me from my cousin...remember going to a sheff utd match in them..oh and with brogue shoes...my mom had to buy oxblood shoe polish I think to keep them looking smart !!! Oh god...memories...now thats old age for ya!! Can also remember buying tights from Saxone shoe shop on High street..what had arrows going up the outside legs...think they were 10p a pair..and that was a lot back in the 70s..!!! Remember the lads at school trying to follow the arrows up on them......god knows why I wore them...must have thought they were 'cool' back then...LOL (must say lads never got to the top though) LOL

Edited by poppypoppy

That reminds me of March the tailor on the Moor, and the time they cheated me. There was a promo on where you got 6 pairs of stockings with every purchase. I bought a coat but the very snooty assistant tried to refuse me the stockings (can't remember on what grounds) I stood up for my rights but only managed to prise 3 pairs out of her. I bet she took the rest.

"March the Tailors dress you well, impress you well" I remember the advert! Blimey that's a blast from the past.

Can anyone remember the sausage what the wimpy bars used to serve? It was in a horse shoe shape if I recall.....I used to think it was lovely...LOL...my god..how times have changed....I can also remember wearing oxford bag trousers..ben sherman shirt..and a crombie overcoat...I think thats what they called it...all passed down to me from my cousin...remember going to a sheff utd match in them..oh and with brogue shoes...my mom had to buy oxblood shoe polish I think to keep them looking smart !!! Oh god...memories...now thats old age for ya!! Can also remember buying tights from Saxone shoe shop on High street..what had arrows going up the outside legs...think they were 10p a pair..and that was a lot back in the 70s..!!! Remember the lads at school trying to follow the arrows up on them......god knows why I wore them...must have thought they were 'cool' back then...LOL (must say lads never got to the top though) LOL

my wife most likely sold you those tights.

I think everyone bought their shoes from Saxones back then, I got as much wear out of a pair that the heels would 'go under' it was like walking backwards, but then we could have new heels put on or just the heel tips, how many heels did we lose running for the last bus :hihi:

Got my first "leathers" from lewis leathers at the bottom of the moor in the late 70`s. Wasn`t the virgin records that was at the side of it one of the first in the country.

Was once walking through the hole in the road on a saturday and unknown to me i had a load of mods following me. My mate at school had spotted me as he was on a bus going around the top so he could look down into the hole.

harringtons in the markets was the best for clothes. Got my crombie and high waisters from there. Used to wear massive platform boots too which i bought from one of the stalls in the market. They were my pride and joy for years.