Shiny sheff name change

Herbert

Noticed the name change too yesterday.

I don't know any details but no one as said anything about a lanlord change and we usually find out any gossip in the Sportsman up the road.

I think they're just trying anything now, it's a right dump and even the old fellers don't go in any more.

They get a lot of ruff customers as well and "restraunt" is stretching it a bit as well.

Asked for gammon in there once, when the new owners took over. When it came it was a slice of cold boiled ham and chips!

I reckon it will get knocked down soon, it's way to big to support a buisiness there.

Then someone will probabaly build some big expensive houses there.

Modesty - I presume you haven't been in the Sheff lately? The new landlord has been there about 8 months or so (probably a little longer) and is slowly turning the place into a pub worth visiting again. I think it's taking a while because it had virtually been run into the ground. It's beginning to feel a nice, clean, comfortable place to go again.

The name change - hardly event of the year dropping the adjective - signals the rebirth of a once brilliant pub. Due to change in legislation he's had to build a disabled person's toilet - hence the pool table has gone; but there's now a dart board which seems to be popular.

The food isn't quite what I'd expect but it's okay. Sometimes there's a jazz duo playing on Sunday lunch - there are the usual Sunday newspapers and it's got a relaxed feel nowadays. This summer hopefully sees terracing being laid down on the front of the building (and the car-park has had a right good tidy-up).

As for the rough people that go in there. Well, there used to be a few, but they've been moved on. It was quite easy, putting Stella and Guinness up to £2.70 a pint seemed to help!

I also like the Sportsman - a real home-from-home down to earth place (with top notch food and beer), but I believe there is room for all three local pubs up here, Sheff, Sportman and Three Merry Lads.

Give the guy at the Sheff a chance. I think you'll be surprised!

Thanks for the info ousey, have lived up here 6 years and been to the sheff once, what a dump. Would be delighted to walk to spider park on an evening and call in for a pint on the way back with the wife and kids. A nice seating area outside is a sure fire way to attract families. The sportsman and merries are great but a bit of a walk for the kids, never understood why the sheff didnt thrive looking at the location and opportunity.

Originally posted by Ousetunes

Give the guy at the Sheff a chance. I think you'll be surprised!

Thanks for the info it sounds really nice.

Got friends that live round the back and I can't believe they hav'nt been in to check.

The pub crawl might just get a little bigger now:thumbsup: Cheers.

I know someone who works there very well, I'm told it's usually empty and the food there isn't worth bothering with. It lost most of it's customers when it changed ownership a few years ago when they put the prices up. Most of the pubs clientel were OAP's, most of which have been put off since then.

My God, this used to be my local back in the early 80's and it was only full of old biddies and retired old sea sogs from the HMS Sheffield. Nice pub back then and real good atmosphere with friendly old folks...

went for a meal 1 year ago and waited 55 minutes for the first course to arrive. There were only about 12 people in in total, so complained a lot, and then the soup arrived cold and the wrong order, so told them to forget it and bring on the main course, a simple enough fish and chip meal. 45 minutes later we were still waiting, and kicked up the biggest fuss I have ever made in a pub when the bar person, who was painting her nails behind the bar, told me the chef was having problems with the equipment. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited a further 15 minutes, and demanded to see the Manager. We were told Manager was in Canary ISlands. All the other customers were also compalining as they had not been served either, except a very irate woman who had been given a bowl of icecream when she had ordered a steak!!!!

2 meals then arrived at the table, a horribly cold, hard and barely cooked selection of miserable bleached looking chips, and the most obscene soggy, lank and pathetic bit of fish I have ever seen in my life, including dead fish washed up on Skegness beach at high tide.

Then we all walked out with a lot of verbal abuse to the so called Bar Supervisor, still painting her nails, and refused to pay for anything. Wrote a very frank letter to the Manager, who never even bothered to reply.....

the place now? dont know if I dare go back in it was SOOO bad last year

The new landlord seems to be REALLY trying hard, we went in there for a sunday lunch tother week and it was ok, a bit too much gravy but nicely cooked and hot and quick, also had the home made lasagne before which was great.

The conservatory area is nice to sit in but the inside is a bit weird.

ITs got to be better than more executive style houses in lodge moor anyway ...although NOTHING beats The sportsman for sunday lunch...if you can beat the OAPS back with a stick and actually get a seat...:rolleyes:

Well said Elitest - John, the landlord of the Sheff is indeed slowly transforming the place. As you say, the last thing we want up here is more executive homes (David Wilson took care of that on the old Lodge Moor hospital site).

As for the Sportsman, why don't you book in advance for Sunday lunch and Jill (or Mike) will simply reserve you a table? Only shame about the place is that they don't take cards, which probably explains why it's always full of OAPs. Maybe the poor old dears walk for miles to find a pub which accepts CASH?!!

Archived