Housing Scams

I have been looking to rent a house in Sheffield and i have found a couple that are very reasonably priced, when i inquire the deal becomes amazing but then they ask for money via money gram. I'm sure that the people on here have the good sense not to fall for it (and it is 90% on Gumtree) but it is disappointing to get your hopes up and be let down. Here is an example of the template response scammers usually use:

"Hello,

I`m sorry for my late reply but I`ve had some medical problems! My name is Neil Kesenen and I am from Denmark and the flat is still available for rent. I had an aunt in UK and after her death she left me her apartment in UK a few years ago.

The flat was redecorated last year and the flat is looking very nice and clean. The property has a fully furnished kitchen,clean and well tidy sitting rooms,laundry room,and fully furnished with home utilities like: electric shower, Lounge,Vacuum Cleaner,Toaster, Oven and microwave, dryer, iron, washing machine , refrigerator , dishwasher, power-shower, heater, cable ready,tv set and dvd player,internet connection, equipped kitchen and everything a house needs. I'm interested in finding someone clean who can take care of this house more than getting money from renting it if you know what I mean.

Till last month the apartment was rented by some students from Germany and now they left and the apartment is available again for rent. The price I want is 105 UK pounds per week and the advance it's the price for the first 2 months(1 advance and 1 guarantee).

If you have the money I could come in the next few days to show you the apartment and maybe sign the rental agreement if you like it but first I have to be sure you are honest you really do need a place to live because two weeks ago a person told me he is really interested and he asked me to go to Sheffield to meet him and sign the rental agreement and when I arrived there no person showed up to rent my place and I lost time and money for nothing.

I will wait for your e-mail

Neil"

And i would think that anyone genuinely in that situation would either appoint a local agent or have someone based in Sheffield who could carry out viewings. This type of scam has been going on for ages, does anyone know if Gumtree are doing anything to clamp down on it btw?

Archived