Bungalows & bears

chris1983

Thats the dump you've got to get on the guest list for by going in, in the afternoon.

They make out its some exclusive club but it always looks full of the in crowd pretentious t0ssers to me!!!

Give me the new Frog and Parrot over B&B anyday.

They have to be tacking the mick - or affiliated with a rival bar. B&B is one of the best bars in town

no chance, like one of the threads says there is graffiti all over the bog walls, it wasn't a "Classy" bar but was one to go to on a night out. now its just a dive.

Thats the dump you've got to get on the guest list for by going in, in the afternoon.

They make out its some exclusive club but it always looks full of the in crowd pretentious t0ssers to me!!!

Give me the new Frog and Parrot over B&B anyday.

Ouch, sounds a little bitter. Did you actually go inside in an afternoon? I get anxious walking into somewhere new but it's incredibly relaxing.

Bungalows and Bears is going to be featured in one of The Guardian's Hidden Britain features soon.

With any bar (just like with any book, or with any football team) you can't please all the people all the time. Some people will love it, others will hate it, that's life.

B and B has managed an extraordinary feat which is in only 2 years to cultivate a similar atmosphere to Mr Kites in the late 70s (now The Green Room.) Mr Kites was one of the most fantastic bars I've ever been in, and I spent the 80s in London and used to frequent some of the coolest places in the UK.

Everyone I knew in Sheff used to go down to Mr Kites on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon to sit around, have a coffee or a beer and read the papers and chat.

The staff at B and B are very friendly and very attentive to customers. The women's toilets (can't speak for the men's) are very clean and welcoming. The atmosphere is second to none, very relaxing with a choice of tables - low coffee tables with comfy sofas by the windows, or proper pub tables with chairs nearer the back which are quiet and out of the way, perfect for a quiet meeting. There is no intrusive screen blaring out sky sports - you can find that at plenty of other pubs if that's what you want. Similarly there are no noisy-light-banging slot machines (which I loathe with a passion.)

I saw two businessmen yesterday lunchtime having a quiet meeting at the back of B and Bs with their laptops open, and on another table a couple talking quietly, on another table near the window in the more busy part, a group of girls all having a right laugh, and on the sofas groups of mates in 2s, 3s, 4s and 5s. This was a weekday lunchtime - great atmosphere and something for everyone. I was talking to the manager, Ollie, about my book launch party this Saturday at B and B and he was constantly aware of customers needing serving and incredibly attentive and polite to the customers.

Anyway if any of you want to come along this Saturday afternoon between 2pm and 5pm to B and B I will be signing my books next to the DJ stand but more relevant for all of you, I will have some stickers with the SF logo on, and a space to write your SF user name, so you can meet other forum users! :) Why don't some of you who like it come down and get a sticker and meet one another IRL? :) I don't mind if you don't buy one of my books, that's only part of the afternoon. Ralph Razor is playing a sultry lounge set and a couple of the peekaboo burlesque girls will be handing out sweets and bookmarks. It's free, there is no exclusive door policy for this, everyone is welcome, it is not some up-your-botty private VIP jobby with everyone standing around quaffing their luke warm free glass of wine and 4 dried up canopies, there will be food and drink at the bar and it's meant to be fun for everyone, so come along :)

PS Get there at 1.50pm if you can because that's when I arrive and the press pics are going to be taken outside on the street.

Archived