Bungalows & bears

chris1983

Thankyou chris1983. If you buy my novel, My Adventures In Cyberspace, there is a chapter at the beginning where the protagonist goes onto a forum full of lads all slagging off not only one of her articles in a national magazine, but also her as a person, even though none of them have ever met her. They're talking about her as though she isn't human, just because her article and photo have appeared in one of their climbing lads' mags. She registers on the forum under her own name in order to defend herself, which is the last thing they expect, and a huge bunfight ensues....it was inspired by my own experience on a large climbing forum in the early days of forums, before user profiles and facebook.

There were many other bunfights on that forum over the years as at the time you weren't allowed to discuss anything other than climbing and I was trying to introduce the facility to discuss general topics, much to the horror of the old timers from the dot rec days. And it was watching these bunfights that inspired Yog Sothoth to start posting, and eventually we fell in love and 7 years later here we still are, the story in My Adventures is all inspired by that...forums are very important to me.

That is extremely gracious of you. It takes a lot of courage to publically admit to making a mistake and then to apologise, thankyou. Anyway I work on the basis that anything negative that happens I should treasure and magic into fuel to make positive things happen. For a while I've been putting off assembling a photo gallery to go on the Fleur De Lys site because I've been up to my ears with every other aspect of the business, but you've spurred me on to get together all my modelling shots in one place so that when people slag me off for looking like (shock horror) an author, and not like a surgically face-lifted plasticised botoxed actress, I can direct them to some pictures of me from when all I had to do in my life was look pretty. Yeah, it was a tough life, being a gorgeous young lass ;)

Anyway, why don't you come along tomorrow and get your SF name sticker and meet some other fms? No-one's going to hold it against you that you slagged the place off I'm sure. You could say you were prepared to be converted. :hihi: Although being a George Clooney lookalike you won't need a name sticker. Everyone will point at you as soon as you walk in and say "Blimee it's chris1983 from Sheffield Forum, he does look exactly like George Clooney!" :hihi:

You haven't interviewed me, I've never needed to use a recruitment agency.

I didn't guess. I used to be a freelance journalist. We're naturally curious. ;) People love to think they're completely anonymous on the net.

They're not.

Last thing before i stop dragging this thread on, i had chance to look at the modeling pictures you posted on here and Wow do i need to eat my words! i would love to come to your book signing but i have to help the old man put a new kitchen in. hope it all goes well though!

Last thing before i stop dragging this thread on, i had chance to look at the modeling pictures you posted on here and Wow do i need to eat my words!

Not really. Bottom line is in The Star shot I look like a right munter. :hihi: You were just weren't meant to say so. :hihi: I may put your comment in my Pearls of Poison section on the company site, to join everyone else who's slagged me off both to my face and behind my back. :hihi: You'll get star treatment considering you said sorry. :thumbsup:

i would love to come to your book signing but i have to help the old man put a new kitchen in. hope it all goes well though!

My goodness, you get nobler by the minute! :thumbsup:

PS I am working on several galleries for the web site including some very naughty shots of me taken at Lads' mag Razzle studios.

the_white_rose, your book sounds interesting, I always like stories I can relate to and I can relate a lot to meeting people over the net and spending time in forums. The actual forum in question though, was it a forum or a newsgroup? If the latter did you change it into a forum for the book because that's what people are more familiar with now?

The actual forum in question though, was it a forum or a newsgroup?

The original place that inspired the novel was a forum for climbers. However many of them had first met on the dot rec climbing newsgroup.

If the latter did you change it into a forum for the book because that's what people are more familiar with now?

No, if it had been a newsgroup I'd have kept it that way, coz that would actually have been even cooler ;)

Thank you to everyone who turned up yesterday to the signing party and thanks to those who bought books! Thanks to Ralph Razor for DJing. and to Peekaboo Burlesque Debs and to Pixelwitch Jacqs and Dan Sumption for taking pics and Katie for PAing and a huge thankyou to the staff and management of Bungalows and Bears who were really chilled about the whole thing whilst being incredibly helpful. I can't recommend the venue enough as a place to hold special events like this.

Everyone who attended said they loved the venue and loved the music, some of my guests said the food was absolutely amazing, and my daughters normally frequent the coolest bars in Manchester but love B and Bs.

And a special massive thank you to Sheffield Forum poster and old Silverdale School chum Mutley who drove me to the event in his gorgeous orange Lotus Elise. I will post the pictures online at the end of the week!

A perfect afternoon, thankyou :):thumbsup:

I went in there a few weeks ago and it is a hole. It smelt of sweat and just general dirt. At least the decor when it was bar coast and firestation was contemporary and clean.

I have to agree. We went in on Saturday (while the aforementioned book launch was taking place) and the place absolutely stunk. I dunno what the smell is, just a dirty, greasy, old fusty smell. It wasn't helped that old food was left on some of the tables, and to be honest, all the lads working behind the bar looked like they could do with a good wash aswell!

I used to love this place because it was a bit different to the other townie bars, but not sure I'll be going back in a hurry.

I've now written a short blog article about the book launch party on Saturday, with photos, on my blog. The direct link is here.

Look out for Bungalows and Bears in The Guardian's Hidden Treasures where they review some of Britain's hidden pearls such as B and B. The reporter from The Guardian actually visited the bar of course, which rather lends weight to his or her views. :hihi:

agree with the recent comments, the last 3 or 4 times i've been there this month it's absolutely stunk! really not pleasant when eating at lunchtime or having a few drinks on a night out. either they need to sort their drains out or give the place a deep clean, it's horrible.

Archived