Google street view of Sheffield

I wonder how they took all the photos. Do you think people just walked around with cameras?

There are cars driving around with a number of cameras attached to the roof of the cars to give a 360 degree view. I've seen one a Derbyshire a few times last summer, it had big "Google maps" signs all over it.

There are cars driving around with a number of cameras attached to the roof of the cars to give a 360 degree view. I've seen one a Derbyshire a few times last summer, it had big "Google maps" signs all over it.

Oh right, I think its absolutely awesome! The only thing that would make it better is if it told us at what time and on what day the pics were taken!

I do think it's brilliant, very surprised that they came down our little cul-de-sac in Carterknowle, but wouldn't it make it easier to scope out a possible crime location undetected? If you were to walk or drive around an area to check it out then you'd probably be picked up on CCTV or people could say that they saw a suspicious looking vehicle/person going around, whereas if you used Google Street View then you could browse from the privacy of your own home.

That said, the images are at least a few months old, so don't know how useful they would be.