Google street view of Sheffield

I wonder if they can see their way to dealing with my 2005 request that they stop calling everywhere in Sheffield "Norton"... :P

True!!!

It says where I live is Norton, when actually it's Norfolk Park..hmmmm

I wonder if they can see their way to dealing with my 2005 request that they stop calling everywhere in Sheffield "Norton"... :P

Yes! That really bugs me aswell.

I'm not sure Google's Street View is the most positive thing they could've developed. We live in an information age where everything is available immediately - whinging about slight delays on superspeed broadband, no paper maps or paper anything, financial penalties for wanting to speak to a real person at the bank window, selfserve checkout machines at Tesco, no excuses for not having every piece of data available.

There's the privacy issue yes, but does absolutely everything have to be documented and 360-degree-camera'd!? What's the point in travelling anywhere if you've seen it all already!? Kind of takes the sense of adventure out of pretty much any new activity doesn't it?

Being a sad individual I went onto the Google Street View site to have a nosey....and ended up looking about the streets of New York....and even found my way to Central Park and the Dakota Building - where John Lennon was shot.....see I am a totally sad individual....do you think I ought to get out more :lol:

I did find it interesting though :hihi:

Funny, isn't it? You can't take photos at Canary Wharf (among other places) because of the "security risk" ie; terrorism, but anyone can go on google and get a fine view! Presumably terrorists don't have the internet!

I was messing with maps on my phone earlier and it said that Crosspool was Norton and I rechecked postcodes but nothing was entered incorrectly, it also said that everywhere in Bradford (my destination) is in Queensbury which is about 10 miles away. If both of the points I looked up are incorrect it doesn't say much for the rest of their mapping.

There was a lot of aerial surveying carried out during and after the floods last year so there is quite a bit of up to date data. However, most of it is on Microsoft Virtual Earth rather than Google Earth.

For instance, the Botanical Gardens...

Google has a building site

Microsoft has hi-res images, with up to date slant views.

http://www.flashearth.com is handy for checking out the different services' images.

What's the point in travelling anywhere if you've seen it all already!? Kind of takes the sense of adventure out of pretty much any new activity doesn't it?

The images don't give you a feel for being there, meeting the people, eating the food, looking around and inside places, the weather etc.

I'm pretty sure noone wanting to visit NY decided to just log on and view it on the web after street view was recorded there.