Public meeting about BUSES. Sheffield next Wed 25 March

JCJC

"We Want Our Buses Back" is holding a public meeting with a City Council speaker and others.

Wed. 25th March

7pm

Quaker Meeting House (near the Cathedral)

Public transport is clearly a key issue if you use buses, everyone is angry about them: prices have doubled in about 4 years. First bus drivers look set to strike as well.

Hear how the Council will handle the proposed re-regulation - and keep the pressure on - it's not a return to full public ownership or subsidy but it's a positive step.

Please come to the meeting if you can, to hear the latest.

** Will you please pass the message on to anyone interested? Ta. **

See you there?

I don't think you could or should impose a 'no strike' rule on anyone - striking should always be an option - a last resort option, of course, but an option nonetheless. After all, people don't get paid etc on strike so it's usually for a good reason. Of course, if there was a publicly owned service and conditions were better for drivers and customers, then there'd be no need for striking.

Unfortunately, I can't see the idea ever taking off.

I didn't say there hadn't been. I just said that IF the conditions of a public owned service benefitted drivers and the public there wouldn't need to be strikes. People in the public sector strike when their pay or conditions (or both) are not as they should be, and, very occasionally, when the public are being shafted in some way (though this is a much rarer occurrence than perhaps it should be).

Archived