Air Raid Shelters

Oswald

I am carrying out a short study for my University dissertation, of archaeological remains from the second world war within Sheffield and South Yorkshire. I was wondering if anybody knew of any air raid shelters that I could include, especially in-situ Anderson Shelters.

Thanks for any help.

I am carrying out a short study for my University dissertation, of archaeological remains from the second world war within Sheffield and South Yorkshire. I was wondering if anybody knew of any air raid shelters that I could include, especially in-situ Anderson Shelters.

Thanks for any help.

Get onto one of the old King Teds forum sites there are a few comments about shelters within the grounds. Also there were shelters built into the bank of the top playground at Bole Hill School, I don't know whether they are still there.

Oswald I hope this is of interest to you,

On the 5 weirs walk off Newhall Road in Attercliffe Sheffield, 100 yards down

[bottom of Graveyard, Iron Mountains yard]is a brick building with slots for guns.

This was apparently to protect Sanderson Kaysers of Newhall Road who were involved in secret war work.

The reason I know of this and went to look for itis that I read about it in a local history book, but unfortunately I cannot remember the source.

Check the nearby information boards on the 5 weirs walk it may be on there also.

Another way to access it is on Attercliffe Common at its junction with Worksop Road is the Zeenat indian restaurant.

Opposite this is the entrance to the graveyard [by the way the graveyard is interesting in its own right] Just follow the path down to the river and its there near the last of the graves at the bottom of the path

Strangely enough the church to which the graveyard once belonged was destroyed in the Blitz.

Any problems locating pm me

I know of three in the Hillsborough area - though none of these remain now. An Anderson shelter was was in the back garden of No 22 Dykes Hall Road - it was dug out in c. 1962 for the scrap iron. The owner of No 2 Rydalhurst Avenue had a brick-and-concrete shelter in the garden - the concrete top was about a foot thick and stood about 3 feet off the ground, most of the shelter being underground. A communal shelter was at the junction of Findon Street and Kendal Road (north-east corner). A flight of steps led down to a tunnel just under the surface that went round three sides of a square - a block of flats is there now.

King Edward VII school has a shelter under the "close" at the front - see http://www.oldedwardians.org.uk/nlc/articles/shelters.html

Archived