Air Raid Shelters

Oswald

I am carrying out a short study for my University dissertation, of archaeological remains from the second world war within Sheffield and South Yorkshire. I was wondering if anybody knew of any air raid shelters that I could include, especially in-situ Anderson Shelters.

Thanks for any help.

Oswald - interesting you're doing this research - will pm you with what info I have ok?

Oswald I hope this is of interest to you,

On the 5 weirs walk off Newhall Road in Attercliffe Sheffield, 100 yards down

[bottom of Graveyard, Iron Mountains yard]is a brick building with slots for guns.

This was apparently to protect Sanderson Kaysers of Newhall Road who were involved in secret war work.

The reason I know of this and went to look for itis that I read about it in a local history book, but unfortunately I cannot remember the source.

Check the nearby information boards on the 5 weirs walk it may be on there also.

Another way to access it is on Attercliffe Common at its junction with Worksop Road is the Zeenat indian restaurant.

Opposite this is the entrance to the graveyard [by the way the graveyard is interesting in its own right] Just follow the path down to the river and its there near the last of the graves at the bottom of the path

Strangely enough the church to which the graveyard once belonged was destroyed in the Blitz.

Any problems locating pm me

To go off the subject a bit, when you look at old pictures of atterliffe the church is on the top of a cliff, with the river at the bottom. I assume this is the place you are talking about mickyboy and that the cliffe is the one the area is named after.

This is also the graveyard that drugs were found in, which also had a tie in to the Zeenat. sometime in the 80s I think

I think people might be getting off the track when they hear the word 'Air Raid Shelters'. Many public buildings such as schools and the like, (especially the old ones that were in effect during the war years) usually had outdoor play areas that were under cover and open to the schoolyard, the entrances were archways and were part of the main building. These archways were bricked in with a smaller entrance provided, these were 'Air Raid Shelters,' where the school children had air raid drills to and from these places. I'm sure, where these facilities did'nt exist, other comparable shelters were built. I don't suppose this comes as any great revelation but these are not 'Anderson Shelters', neither are the reinforced cellar/basements type either. As I understand the 'Anderson' was the galvanized, corrugated steel type that had to be assembled and dug into the ground with more shelter below the ground surface than above it, they were usually in a backyard and side by side if more than one was allotted.

There is one on Carson Mount S12.It is on the right hand side as you go down from White Lane just before you turn off to go onto Basegreen avenue.

It is no. 28 & you can see it from the road.It is in perfect condition & painted green.I love it.

I remember two air raid shelters within fifty feet of each other. One was in what we knew as "the back yard" which was situated behind the cottages (now demolished) at the bottom of Laird Rd. The other was on the "spare land" at the bottom of Worrall Rd opposite the stonemasons/headstone maker. There was also a static water tank on the village green.

I am carrying out a short study for my University dissertation, of archaeological remains from the second world war within Sheffield and South Yorkshire. I was wondering if anybody knew of any air raid shelters that I could include, especially in-situ Anderson Shelters.

Thanks for any help.

Hope that I have not missed anyone mentioning the steel table shelters. These were assembled in the living room and had a steel base and a steel roof with about a 3 foot space between, a mattress was put onto the base and the shelter was used as a table during the day and then a bed for night (or day) time sleeping.

Archived