Rent out a house and not using an agent

In a few months' time I am going to be renting my property out. I do not want to use an agent as I believe I will be able to find my own tenants and will save a lot of costs and can afford to charge slightly less rent to be more competitive.

I realise that if you go through an agent or were a registered landlord etc, you would have to have all different sorts of tests done and obtain certain certificates. Obviously I would have my boiler and gas fire serviced before someone moved in, but would I be obligated to do anything else if I was renting without using an agent etc?

Am not trying to pull a fast one or anything here/take shortcuts, I just wonder what other people are doing in similar situations.

Thanks

Most landlords I know do not go through an agent to rent out flats ect.

As for asking for references you should get one from their second to last landlord as the last one may just give you a good one to get them out of his place.

Most landlords I know do not go through an agent to rent out flats ect.

As for asking for references you should get one from their second to last landlord as the last one may just give you a good one to get them out of his place.

What if they dont have a second to last landlord

It would be prudent to get an fixed wiring test done and PAT test any electrical appliances you are looking to leave in the property. This last for 10 years (or change of tenant - if there are no signs of tampering you could stick with the 10 yr rule). You should not leave a TV for the tenant either as you will be responsible for their TV Licence.

Have you had a look at the National Landlords Association website? http://www.landlords.org.uk/ There's lots of useful information there. All of the certificates that need to be done when you sign up with an agent still need doing when you let it yourself, and the tenancy deposit scheme will still need to be used if you plan to take a deposit (of course). This site might be helpful too http://www.landlordzone.co.uk

there is a third party company called tenant verify (google it) that can do checks on any prospective tenants u have so u can check if they have good credit rating, ever bailed on a previous property etc. basic check is £15 or comprehensive is £30 and takes 2 days. u could ask the propective tenant to pay this cost and then if their succesful, you could take this off the first month's rent. sure tenants wouldnt mind paying that. lot cheaper than going thru an agent where the costs are about £150 for same checks! i just applied for a property and the private landlord did this and i had no probs paying £30 for the checks. they came back within 2 days and its coming off mt first months rent.

u will get [peace of mind then as comprehensive check does an employment ref and a character ref.

In a few months' time I am going to be renting my property out. I do not want to use an agent as I believe I will be able to find my own tenants and will save a lot of costs and can afford to charge slightly less rent to be more competitive.

I realise that if you go through an agent or were a registered landlord etc, you would have to have all different sorts of tests done and obtain certain certificates. Obviously I would have my boiler and gas fire serviced before someone moved in, but would I be obligated to do anything else if I was renting without using an agent etc?

Am not trying to pull a fast one or anything here/take shortcuts, I just wonder what other people are doing in similar situations.

Thanks

If you have a mortgage on this property, you are obliged to tell your mortgage lender you intend to rent it out. They may require you to swap to a BTL mortgage. Depends on the small print in your agreement iirc...

hth

Archived