Why do red lights not apply to cyclists?

I am a motorist and know that most motorists spend a lot of effort trying not to get killed. However today (admittedly at 6:30 so there were very few cars around) I saw an idiot with no lights and no helmet turning right at an island by turning right onto it (ie going the wrong way round) then coming off into the lane for traffic approaching the roundabout from that turn (there were bollards in the middle). What a prize idiot He must have saved himself about 5 m and maybe half a second

I feel the same about cyclists that pedal and swerve to get round me before the road narrows for traffic lights etc just to hit the back of the traffic jam ahead earlier-seriously why?

Can someone please start an interesting thread and not necromance this tired old rubbish?

I am a motorist and know that most motorists spend a lot of effort trying not to get killed. However today (admittedly at 6:30 so there were very few cars around) I saw an idiot with no lights and no helmet turning right at an island by turning right onto it (ie going the wrong way round) then coming off into the lane for traffic approaching the roundabout from that turn (there were bollards in the middle). What a prize idiot He must have saved himself about 5 m and maybe half a second

I feel the same about cyclists that pedal and swerve to get round me before the road narrows for traffic lights etc just to hit the back of the traffic jam ahead earlier-seriously why?

Can someone please start an interesting thread and not necromance this tired old rubbish?

do you have some kind of problem:loopy:

Thats what motorists do not cyclists! Traffic jams are irrelevant to cyclists because you can cycle past them quite legally and are even recommended to do so in the highway code. People in cars force themselves past cyclists only to stop a few metres down the road in a jam, not the other way round!

Thats what cars do not cyclists! Traffic jams are irrelevant to cyclists because you can cycle past them quite legally and are even recommended to do so in the highway code. People in cars force themselves past cyclists only to stop a few metres down the road in a jam, not the other way round!

I think he/she knows that as it was my post with a few of the motorist/cyclist bits changed (although not all for some reason) so it made no sense:hihi:

Here's an interesting experiment

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3311182.ece

Not like America where a cyclist can legally turn right (turning against the kerb, equivelant to our turning left) through a red light, the Parisian experiment allows for going straight ahead. It does not seem to include turning left (across the carriageway) -as this would involve waiting in the middle of the junction, as would in our turning right

It would be good to see a trial of allowing left turns only through red lights in the UK (for all traffic). Some signage at junctions where any proceeding through a red is prohibited would be good.

'Right on Red' (after first coming to a complete stop) is allowed in many places in the US and in Europe. It seems to work well enough, too.

The article isn't as clear as it might be. Surely, if you were to go straight on at a 'T' junction (irrespective of whether you had a red light a green light or any other colour light) you would go up onto the pavement and run into the wall on the other side of the road?

Most people don't go straight on at a 'T' junction; they either turn right or left.

I note that the article says "...They [cyclists] do not have priority and will be held responsible in the event of an accident...."

Presumably, they will have to have personal liability insurance? (As is required in many countries anyway.)

The article seems to suggest that cyclists in Paris can ignore red lights, but do so at their own risk. Parisian pragmatism, perhaps.

'Right on Red' for all vehicles (or as it would be in the UK 'Left on Red') does assist traffic flow. It doesn't seem to cause problems elsewhere.

I think he/she knows that as it was my post with a few of the motorist/cyclist bits changed (although not all for some reason) so it made no sense:hihi:

oh right I get it now. The hilarity of that post went right over my head. :)

Archived