Why do red lights not apply to cyclists?

it would be useful to know which those are ;)

ok I don't know for sure but I seriously am left waiting once I listened to a whole song on my ipod before a bus came along and it turned green.

first one is on london road, the bus lane that goes onto the bottom of the moor

(just after the adult shop with manniquins in the window)

the other one is going onto chesterfield road, near lowfield school going towards the red lion pub is it?

you'll just wait there while it goes through all the other traffic lights at least three or four times then when a car comes along miraculously its your turn to go:rant:

There are some traffic lights triggered only by the weight of a vehicle. There was a set in Peterborough where it was necessary to carefully pass through a red light at certain times of day - when the traffic was light, so there were no cars available to trigger the lights for you

I don't know of any such lights in Sheffield

The left turn lane at the junction of Parkside Road with Penistone Road down by Hillsborough Park used to be like that, it changes now though. That's the only red light I've ever gone through - I used to go when the right turn lane went, as it meant there was no traffic coming along Penistone Rd.

Not that I have to go that way anymore, new job means I'm going to have to drive to work :(

There are some traffic lights triggered only by the weight of a vehicle. There was a set in Peterborough where it was necessary to carefully pass through a red light at certain times of day - when the traffic was light, so there were no cars available to trigger the lights for you

I don't know of any such lights in Sheffield

My driving instructor told me about these - and I didn't believe him!:hihi:

I am a bit of a bugger for jumping red lights, often though it is beneficial to drivers. Certain lights which are safe to jump and slowly passing the white line (technically a red light jump if the police are in a bad mood?) gets me away a bit quicker from the stopped traffic, more traffic can pass through the light and then overtke slowly further along the road.

If I wait at lights (most I do), theres often a cautious driver who may wait a bit and then pull out, allowing maybe only them to go through before the lights change.

I tend to walk or get the bus,.....i used to cycle, but to be honest its safer not to, as there are to many drivers who basically dont really care about cyclists. And when it comes to cycle lanes, its surprising how close a car will try and get to the lane, while leaving a nice gap the other side :loopy: My other problem with cars, is the parked variety......which for me are a cyclists worst nightmare, especially at junctions where you cant see them until its too late.

Archived