Millhouses pub - what's it like?

moopind

Robin Hood is desperate need of a refurb. We used to visit regularly but the food got pretty bad and the decor was tatty. The food was served sporadically and incorrect. The fish & chips came without tartare sauce as indicated on the menu and we were told, 'nobody eats it anyway.' Kids running about when it clearly says nobody under the age age 14. Ember Inns really ought to tighten up their act at the Robin Hood, get a decent manager in place, spend some money on the decor and get the place back to what it was.

When was the last time you went? It had a major refurb only a couple of years ago. I go quite a lot and never see any kids running about. Like you say, under 14's are not aloud and they are very strict on this. I don't eat there that often but from what I've seen it looks pretty good. I like it, it has a nice relaxed atmosphere.

When was the last time you went? It had a major refurb only a couple of years ago. I go quite a lot and never see any kids running about. Like you say, under 14's are not aloud and they are very strict on this. I don't eat there that often but from what I've seen it looks pretty good. I like it, it has a nice relaxed atmosphere.

Yes I was thinking that can not agree that the Robin is tatty infact the standards in there are some of the highest I have seen in a pub,never seen any kids in there either.Can't comment on the food as I dont eat there but a great place for a beer they get most things right imo.

As I was passing on the way back from a cycle ride in the peaks on saturday, I dropped into the Millhouses for a swift one on Saturday, partly inspired by this thread, mainly cos I wanted to find out the football scores.

And how I wished I hadn't; couldn't believe how far downhill this pub has gone!

I remember a few years back it was a good place to while away a sunday afternoon watching the live football. It served a fine pint of Landlord and was always busy, appealing to both the old and the young.

On Saturday there were no real ales on the bar at all, just fizzy pop. Unable to bring myself to insult my tastebuds with John Smiths Smooth, I had a swift half of cider instead and as I forced it down took a look around. The games room was empty, half the pub was in darkness, with a stage set up for karaoke while the speakers blared out a "Blandest Hits Of The 80s" compilation at deafening volume. There were only 5 people in, 2 of whom appeared to be the barstaff. I didn't stop long.

Instead I cycled into town and headed for the Rutland, which was doing a roaring trade and had 6 real ales on the bar. Coincidence?

It may be that the Millhouses has just changed hands and the state of the place is the fault of the old licensees rather than the new ones. Either way, unless it improves dramatically I doubt I'll be going back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went in here for a quick half a couple of weeks ago whilst i was waiting for my takeaway from chan's accross the road... really wish i hadn't bothered, the whole place smelled disgusting; there was no one in there other than a couple of friends of the bar staff lurking around by the bar and the half a lager i had although was nice and cold had the most disgusting smell to it, either the glass was filthy or the lines hadn't been cleaned in weeks. Whole place needs a total clearout. Just find it really sad as this place used to my local, always had a good mix of people in and always seemed to be having something going on... if you ask me it all went down hill after Mike (RIP) and Pauline Gent left in 2004... it had a string of bad landlords after that and never got it sorted out. Such a shame.

the best i can say is call in meet the management have a chat with them they seem to be really friendly, the beer is good and they seem to be trying very hard. there is no kids running about. if you do seem to get a bad pint which i havent, they would exchange it with no fuss whats so ever. try for yourself and see what its really like. don't let others put you off, if your moving there it could be your local, if you dont like it theres always the robin or wagon which in my veiw the staff don't have time for you.

I have a couple of pints in The Millhouses every Friday and its fine. I've been going in for about 3/4 years and it must have had at least 3/4 different landlords/managers in that time.

As with numerous other pubs it will be shut within a few years, it just doesn't get enough punters through the door.

Archived