Advice needed on noisy neighbours

Also... contact the housing dept at the council. Tell them as much as you can - especially who the neighbours landlords are. This is NOTHING to do with social services taking someones kids away.... do not be emotionally blackmailed in to putting up with this.... this is about a landlord/letting agent basically turning a blind eye to a family who have lied on an application form and are living in totally inappropriate accomodation and making your life hell. They will provide you with guidance and may even (if you appeal to their better nature) write a letter for you. That may not sound like much but a letter/complaint from the council will have more clout than you just phoning up to complain.

Don't give up

what youve just described reminded me of the stories published in the star a while back regarding overcrowding of house let to economic migrants.

ive had a search through the stories online and it did appear that the research was undertaken by the council and the PCT indicating that the council has an element of responsiblity in relation to overcrowding issues.

ive also had a search round the council website for any further info, but to no avail.

as others have said, dont feel emotionally blackmailed- youve informed the letting agents and they should be acting. this is squarely on their shoulders to deal with.

x

• 1 month later...

Sorry to drag an old thread up but...eh? I think you are an utter idiot. Anybody who has ever lived with a genuine noise problem would laugh you out of the forum!

So you have neighbours who make low level noise before 10pm (apart from a few occasions). It's not like they are doing DIY or banging out loud music. And I think noise like that is totally acceptable up to 10pm.

As for overcrowding - these people are obviously taking on what they can afford. Would you rather see them in a government homeless hostel surrounded by drunks, criminals and junkies? That is what they would have to do to get a council flat, and I personally would do anything to keep my family out of that including telling a little white lie on an application form.

But seriously, I think you are being absolutely unreasonable and you should chill out a bit. Obviously you are a bit (okay a lot) uptight and are making a BIG fuss over nothing. You should meet my old neighbours - a party every weekend and music playing until 2am every weekday. Weekends were so horrific they ain't even worth mentioning. I don't really think you have a problem anywhere near that scale. So just calm down, okay?

i was in a similar situation for a number of years and finally i had to sell my home at a considerable loss in order to regain my sanity and happiness, this person who is in his twentys was up all night on most nights with tv, musis, friends coming n going ect, tried council, all they want you to do is keep a log, you can forget police, they arent interested, solicitors are expensive and very long drawn out, we ended up in court which was very destressing to say the least, anyway im happy now but i will never forget what this piece of scum put me through and hope he pays very dearly one day, as for the few of you who have told the guy to chill n get a life, its not that easy to do when you are tired, also have you ever been in that position??? ithink not. i hope things work out for you.

Erm, he's not been in the same situation either. The noise he is complaining about is fairly low level and doesn't go on late at night - the OP said that himself. It's children making noise - not music or power drills or anything like that. They're obviously in dire straights if they can only afford a one bedroom flat but the OP is so stressed out and wrapped up in his own little world that he wants to see a family made homeless. He couldn't give two hoots what happens to them as long as he can live in a nice silent sterile enviroment.

of course he doesnt care what happens to them, because thats how it gets you eventually, i assume the residents of the noisey flat dont have to get up for work... tthe cut off time for noise, be it children or other noise is 2100, my solicitor told me that, plus in years tto come when this persons children are grown up they will think its acceptable to make a noise, move her and her noisy kids and let decent people get some peace.

Is it the same estate agents? If so, you could stop paying your rent - if they can breach their contract without any repercussions then maybe so can you?

As for cod2gamer's comment - ignore 'em. If you use this forum for a month you know its often full of the angry pitch fork burning touches mob who like to think immigrants are taking our jobs, stealing our cars and eating our children. But its entertainment all the same, its why I love reading the general section ;-)

my bold:-

no, no, no!!!!! Recommending someone stops paying their rent is NEVER a good idea, no matter how bad the situation is.

Withholding rent is as much a breach of your tenancy agreement as the neighbours' noise, and could get you into as much trouble as them losing you your home.

Losing your home in that way makes you "intentionally homeless" which means that the council etc have no duty to rehouse you.

You would be shooting yourself in the foot, good-style.

You have to be squeaky-clean in this matter, and be totally above reproach, so the neighbour has no ammunition to fire back at you or the estate agent managing the flats.

Is it a private let?

If so then I would check the lease - I know on mine there is a clause saying that the flat 'shouldn't be lived in by more people than it was designed to house' or something along those lines. Get on to the owner of the freehold

Tom

most tenancy /letting agreements have a stipulation in the clauses, which will determine the legal amount of occupants.

For example, my 2-bed property can, allegedly, legally house 7 people. IE me, and a hubby, and FIVE kids (or me, without a hubby, with SIX kids!!! :o :o)

Also, many tenancy agreements may have a clause that says if false information is given to obtain that tenancy (I know the council definitely had such a clause) it will nullify the tenancy, and give legal cause to get an eviction order.

The best thing you can do if you are having neighbour nuisance is to Housing Aid, at Howden House in town, and/or talk to a Citizen's Advice Bureau. \both are organisations best placed to advise you.

Archived