Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

ianm

I don't want to sound like an old fogey but when I think back to the Limit I realise that todays nightclubs have lost something. They seem to be either sterile, corporate, soulless places where even the most alternative patrons look like fashion victims or scarey places where you have to dodge bullets.

I realise that everybody is supposed to think things were better in 'their day' but I've never been under the illusion that I grew up in a golden age.

I think the old Earl was the closest modern equivalent to places like The Limit and Club With Two Brains in spirit if not in music.

I remember seeing The Alex Harvey Band there. Came onto stage over an hour late (p***ed as usual), carrying a can of 'Kestrel' Lager in one hand and a pair of Ladies 60-denier tan-coloured tights in the other. He then pulled one of the legs of the tights over his head and drank the lager through them.

Priceless. And 'Sensational' !!!

remember it well Dire straits played there once when unknown,but my fave band was one called The Deaf Aids who should have been big. shame they disappeared or did they re-incarnate as something else does anyone know ?

remember it well Dire straits played there once when unknown,but my fave band was one called The Deaf Aids who should have been big. shame they disappeared or did they re-incarnate as something else does anyone know ?
Yes the Deaf aids were a Sheffield band, i used to know two of them. They once supported the Human League at the lyceum and changed their name to Bambakino. When they were the Deaf Aids they used to sell their badges up West Street. I don't think they exist any more, The band i mean not the members.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah..you never saw fashion victims in the Limit:hihi:

I know...I was one of them.....at least I didnt have a Bono mullet

Heh, heh!

All wit and jollity aside, my point was of course that fashion victims are now the norm, there seems to be nowhere left for people who disdain the idea of a ready supplied image.

Heh, heh!

All wit and jollity aside, my point was of course that fashion victims are now the norm, there seems to be nowhere left for people who disdain the idea of a ready supplied image.

Concur there was a healthy DIY ethic to the patrons of the limepit (mullets aside)

Remember if you went down to Cairo's or the Roxy there were fashion victims a plenty during that era, all dancing to Sheena Easton:hihi:

"My baby works from nine to five, he.........."

Indeed there were, I was coaxed there once and it was a hellish experience. It seems as though the spirit of Giro Cacks and The Poxy has now taken over Sheffield...

Concur...went to the City Hall on Saturday for a night out. "You'll love it" they said, "its very 70's, early eighties music"

Sister Sledge, Boney M and Showaddywaddy........:help:

Although there was a ban in the Limit on all Pistol records.....I was once in there when they played Pretty Vacant and the place went bananas, suffice to say the bouncers were troubled that evening:D

Happy days....