Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

ianm

grappler ! You absolutley amaze me. I think your post is the one most important post on here. The reason is because I felt a lot of passion in there and I related to a lot of what you said. Not necessarily the same songs but it only needed me to substitiuste other songs to see what you meant. For me it was, Aztec Camera, The Smiths, lloydd Cole, The The, Japan, The pogues, B52's, Joy Div, The Jam, Iggy, Bowie, Roxy, ABC, Human League, Soft Cell, Skids, Killing Joke, New Order, Specials, Madness, X-Ray Specs, Pistols, Clash, The Slits, Psychodelic furs, Talking Heads, Devo, The Regent, etc.(anyone think of anymore ?)

To tell you the truth. Give me me any of those bands in that night club atmosphere and it would make current day indie (Oasis, Blur etc,) look like nothing to me. But then I suppose it's an age thing. Everyone has there own era.

Comments ? I dare you !!

Cheers Trouncer, all great bands that you mentioned above. I saw the Specials live at the Limit before they had any records out, and Madness, The Beat, Selecter, etc. Iggy songs I remember were Lust for Life, The Passenger and I'm Bored, Devo was Whip it and Through Being Cool, Psychodelic Furs would be Pretty in Pink of course!!!!

I agree, maybe it's an age thing, but the thought of being stood in the Limit on a Saturday night listening to all those songs again sounds like heaven.

you aint allowed an atmosphere like limit no more it constitutes feeling as though you belong!i also went vip to the new limit hopin for a slight recreation at least but was treated to about five old songs an arctic monkeys which i didnt mind but most of our age must be pipe n slippered up cos only bout thirty or so faces there really.cant be recreated if the clientele aint there.they need to make a profit and if what they call music nowadays does it then as crap as it seems its gonna go that way

Me and the wife had VIP cards and went down but they only played about 2 songs when I was there that were from the old days, the rest was all new stuff, some of it good, some not so good, but there were not many young ones in either, which was not a good sign.

Yeah - fantastic!

Agree too with Algenon, Trouncer and teabag what a great post to read. Brings back lots of memories for me.

How about "Wire" - I am the fly? That was always one song that Duane(R.I.P.) and me used to request and then go crazy trying to get on the tiniesh dance floor when the DJ played it. Amazing.

I also used to go there regular from around 1978 - 83/84 and at one time, I was in the place seven days a week!

I saw all of those bands that Grappler mentioned and more - U2 I think and B52s - amazing! plus of course, UK subs around a half doz times and Generation -x and sham 69 played there once too, I think.

I was punk mostly - bit of new age stuff too and, like some of the the other posters,we did the West Street pubs on Fri and Sat nights before going to the limit.

I hung around with the likes of Stunt Kites and Duane, Tiny(Ian Squires),Ju Crookes,Mick Denton,Slonks,Tilted Tom, Deano, Delroy and Trigger(the Clash gang), Pat and Sue and Mandy and was(am) the quiet brother of rocka Deb.

I knew and remember Ian Williams too. He was a character - there were so many. I remember that Giant loon that used to work behind the bar - and collect loads of plastic glasses - he used to work in shorts - wasn't he the incredible hulk or something?!

I was wondering what happened to Steve Gregory who was there a lot and a quiet, ginger haired Chris Evans/Woodie Allen lookalike character who we affectionately knew as speckie?

A few of that gang and meself used to do the "humper" work for the punk/rock/new age bands at the Top Rank too in those times - bringing in their gear and setting up stage. It was a pretty good scene - getting paid for setting up/taking down and getting in for free to see Clash/SLF/Damned, etc. brilliant. I'm sure that Tiny and Mick D will remember it all.

Thanks -Algenon, Trouncer and Grappler, for your posts and for stirring up some excellent memories of many a night in that - take it to the limit - place.

(I am the fly, I am the fly, fly in the, fly in the ointment. Yes, I am the fly.....)

"I am the fly" - yes another legendary Limit record! I also knew a Duane that died? Could be the same lad. I knew Delroy and Trigger to say hello to, nothing more, I think they hung out with Malc Emmett and Alan Clarke in the early days.

I remember a big lad called Tiny, must be the same lad, built like Giant Haystacks! and another big lad called "Tank" who was really called Russ from Woodhouse, he was a good lad. Pat and Sue were (I think) the two girls who hung out with Ian Williams? The glass collector in shorts was called Barry I think, worked at the pit and told them all he was a bouncer at The Limit.

Now for a real blast from the past, for all you that went to the Limit in my era (77 - 85ish), who remembers Sheffield's answer to Boy George and Maralyn, all rolled into one, Trevor!!!! He was called something like Trevor Houcher or something like that, tall lad, well built but with the most immaculate make up you ever saw. My wife (girlfriend at the time) and all her mates used to always comment on how he was better than any woman at choosing and applying make up. They all thought he was really good looking. Fast forward to the mid 80's and I am sure he appeared in a Sunday paper as the latest pop discovery of Mickie Most (if you remember him), or someone like that. Only they had totally changed his image, cut his hair short, and he was lying down in the picture, topless with jeans on, looking like a he-man, nothing like his Limit days persona. As far as I recall, his day job was working at the Manpower building at the bottom of the Moor. Wonder whatever happened to him?????

"I am the fly" - yes another legendary Limit record! I also knew a Duane that died? Could be the same lad. I knew Delroy and Trigger to say hello to, nothing more, I think they hung out with Malc Emmett and Alan Clarke in the early days.

I remember a big lad called Tiny, must be the same lad, built like Giant Haystacks! and another big lad called "Tank" who was really called Russ from Woodhouse, he was a good lad. Pat and Sue were (I think) the two girls who hung out with Ian Williams? The glass collector in shorts was called Barry I think, worked at the pit and told them all he was a bouncer at The Limit.

Now for a real blast from the past, for all you that went to the Limit in my era (77 - 85ish), who remembers Sheffield's answer to Boy George and Maralyn, all rolled into one, Trevor!!!! He was called something like Trevor Houcher or something like that, tall lad, well built but with the most immaculate make up you ever saw. My wife (girlfriend at the time) and all her mates used to always comment on how he was better than any woman at choosing and applying make up. They all thought he was really good looking. Fast forward to the mid 80's and I am sure he appeared in a Sunday paper as the latest pop discovery of Mickie Most (if you remember him), or someone like that. Only they had totally changed his image, cut his hair short, and he was lying down in the picture, topless with jeans on, looking like a he-man, nothing like his Limit days persona. As far as I recall, his day job was working at the Manpower building at the bottom of the Moor. Wonder whatever happened to him?????

i used to hang round with tank i lived in woodhouse near him he lives in newquay now..

Anyone get the EP '1980, the first 15 mins' featuring The Stunt Kites, Clock DVA, I'm so Hollow and Vice Verse ?

yes, along with just about every other locally released single at the time. great days.....

i have 25 issues of the NMX magazine, anyone know if that's a full set?

Hi Grappler very interesting post regarding the limit. I was in the band that played support to bethnal, and have still got a photo of the night, you can view it here: http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t184/golfseven/limit.jpg

hope you find it interesting , l to r Bob, Rodger, Ross Dick, and finally myself Uncle Ernie!

Classic picture!!! "Dangerous Times" was the title of the Bethnall LP if I remember correctly, I went out an bought the 12" single the day after the gig, called "Don't Do It". The picture of yours shows the original location of the stage of course, at the side, before it became the raised up seating area. Happy days!!!!!