Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

ianm

I'd love to meet Tiny (Ian) again, I've not seen him for 15 or 20 years. Back in the early 80's we went all over Britain following the Stranglers, I've still got some photos, great times.

Tiny was in the Bell Jar on Friday night watching Protex Blue apparently he goes in there quite a bit

• 6 months later...
My first time at The Limit was Cabaret Voltaire, Molodoy, Deaf Aids and The Push. Summer 1978. The stage was next to the DJ booth, they moved it to the far end later. Anyone else there?

I remember the stage being there, I saw a band called "Bethnal", from Bethnal Green in London.

Molodoy started out life as Reactor, they supported Sham 69 at the polytechnic in Pond Street, with "The ?", who became Artery. I saw the Push at Sheff Uni Students Union before the singer went to Coronation Street. The Deaf Aids were called Charles Hawtrey and The Deaf Aids in those days.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Its beena little over a month now but one of the Limits greatest supporters and a great local songwriter/musician left us recently.

Rob"Dingo" Dowling passed away at the beginning of December after a short battle with Cancer.

One of my favorite Dingo stories concerned the limit and he may be the only person to ever break out of the club as he got locked in the toilets one night after imbibing a little too much. I think he eventually go out through the elevator used to bring band gear in but we always used to have a good laugh about that one.

Next time you are having a tipple, raise a glass to Dingo and many others who graced the floor, stage, chairs and are sadly no longer with us