MP's Expenses

We all owe them a debt of gratitude, hence my charity.

I've named it 'Financial help for our Unemployed former Custodians of Knowledge, Oratory, Fallacy and Fecklessness' .

Acronym? What acronym? :)

Please donate generously.

Is that affiliated to The Westminister Aid To Honourable Ex Agents of Democracy Society?

• 9 years later...

Ten years on from the MP's expenses scandal here are the estimated amounts our Sheffield MP's received in expenses and salary 2017/18.

Paul Blomfield MP for Sheffield Central (Labour)

Expenses total £209,201.49

Estimated salary £76,011

Ranking 20th

Clive Betts Sheffield South East(Labour)

Expenses total £ 195,692.09

Estimated salary £89,221.16

Ranking 94th

Louise Haigh MP for for Sheffield Heeley (Labour)

Expenses total  £191,217.32

Estimated salary £76,011

Ranking 135th

Gill Furniss MP for Brightside and Hillsborough (Labour)

Expenses total £193,274.26

Estimated salary £76,011

Ranking 115th

Angela Smith MP for Penistone & Stockbridge (CUK, was Labour)

Expenses total £180,059.24

Estimated salary £76,011

Ranking 239th

Jared O'Mara for Sheffield Hallam (Independent, was Labour)

Expenses total £105,789.55

Estimated salary £61,614.98

Ranking 627th 

By far the largest expense for each is staff costs. More detail at https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mps-expenses-scandal/how-much-does-my-mp-claim/

On 05/04/2009 at 15:50, joshtetley said:

Seems our own Clive Betts is the top claimer in our region,nice work if you can get it.:mad:

My MP, Andrea Jenkyns - Morley and Outwood, claimed over half a million in three years

If their expenses are not seen as legitimate by the public then I think this issue is going to explode again.

The last time was about 10 years ago & people had only started with austerity, we've now had years of cutbacks in public services, and everything going up in price and wage freezes. Plus the anger over Brexit. 

I think some MPs just don't get how genuinely ****** off many people are.

16 hours ago, Mister M said:

If their expenses are not seen as legitimate by the public then I think this issue is going to explode again.

The last time was about 10 years ago & people had only started with austerity, we've now had years of cutbacks in public services, and everything going up in price and wage freezes. Plus the anger over Brexit. 

I think some MPs just don't get how genuinely ****** off many people are.

Most of the "expenses" are staff costs though as far as I understand, so its not really "expense" in the way most people think of it (food,accomodation costs etc)

2 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Most of the "expenses" are staff costs though as far as I understand, so its not really "expense" in the way most people think of it (food,accomodation costs etc)

That seems fair enough to me. I have no qualms at all for money being used for staff costs (e.g. wages for MPs assistants dealing with constituents), travel expenses, expenses incurred for food etc. MPs should be perfectly entitled to those as civil servants are.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

That seems fair enough to me. I have no qualms at all for money being used for staff costs (e.g. wages for MPs assistants dealing with constituents), travel expenses, expenses incurred for food etc. MPs should be perfectly entitled to those as civil servants are.

I guess if staff costs are high, it could be that the staff are doing 90% of the work, whereas in instances where staff costs are low the staff may only be doing 50%

Or maybe they are employing friends or family members. The whole system should be much better.