MP's Expenses

...and as was reinforced yesterday on Question Time, the MPs still refuse to get it.

They think if they parrot 'within the rules', 'entirely innocent', 'the system must be changed' (now they've been found out), 'transparency', 'independent enquiry' etc. it's all OK, then.

I think we're beginning to seen how this 'clean up' will pan out. Granted you can't believe a word that comes out of Brown's mouth, but yesterday we had:

"Gordon Brown has defended two cabinet ministers (James Purnell & Geoff Hoon) who did not pay capital gains tax on home sales as the expenses row cast doubt on the future of more MPs."

Hazel Blears' conduct was described by Brown as 'wholly unacceptable', but she won't be getting sacked, and the vile Jacqui Smith is still there, making announcements.

• So far nobody - nobody - has been sacked.

• When will the investigation include tin-pot local councillors, Town Hall 'executives', NHS Trust Managers and the MEP's?

• Apart from second/third/fourth homes, what about MPs with second/third/fourth jobs?

In this, the most serious parliamentary crisis in memory, the MPs are so concerned that they'll be off on their 3 month summer break soon.

They're all guilty. They knew what was going on but did and said nothing. I'm sure that's called 'guilty after the fact'.

And as for Brown saying 'No rewards for failure.', well a peerage and £1.4m pension seems pretty good reward for Michael Martin.

retiring local MP`S are going to be handed nice little pay offs - you couldnt make it up

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Retiring-MPs-in-line-for.5289230.jp

Any of this lot who have taken the p*** with their expenses shouldn't be allowed to retire, they should be sacked so that they loose all entitlements. Haven't they had enough, about time the purse strings were cut. :rant:

OR

Treated like anybody else and arrested and tried for fraud or embezzelment or theft.

Archbishop Rowan Williams has now said the mp's have been humiliated enough and democracy is in danger.

Wrong Mr Williams, the voters are entitled to know every last one of them who has been lining his/her pockets at our expense. Only when they have all been rooted out and hopefully kicked out might government and parliament start to try and regain the trust of the electorate.

Archbishop Rowan Williams has now said the mp's have been humiliated enough and democracy is in danger.

Wrong Mr Williams, the voters are entitled to know every last one of them who has been lining his/her pockets at our expense. Only when they have all been rooted out and hopefully kicked out might government and parliament start to try and regain the trust of the electorate.

Well said & I agree.

I was pretty appalled by this audio from Anthony Steen (the MP who claimed the cost of cleaning his moat) - accusing people of being jealous and stating that he had behaved impeccably.

Possibly the worst response I've heard yet from an MP. I cannot actually see any rationale whatsoever for your second home to be anything more than a one bedroom furnished flat.

Original article about his claims here

He reminds me of this character, Anthony Henley, MP for Southampton from 1727 to 1734. It's his reply to his constituents after they complained about the Excise Bill, which he supported.

I received yours and am surprised at your insolence in troubling me about the Excise. You know, what I very well know, that I bought you. And I know what perhaps you think I don't know, you are now selling yourselves to Someone Else; and I know what you do not know, that I am buying another borough. May God's curse light upon you all; may your houses be as open and common to all Excise Officers as your wives and daughters were to me, when I stood for your scoundrel corporation

(Touch of the Rumsfelds there as well!)