Brightside foundry heating & vent

I used to work with Pat and Steve O' Mahoney, and Dave Goddard, Jacky Bean, and Jack Nicholas is still a very good mate of mine infact He has stayed with me here in Canada, The Best of the Good Ole Day's. Electrician Geoff.

To Grimewood,

Hi geoff nice to hear from you so many threads go unanswered, David and Jack were also good mates when they worked at the Foundry.

They also worked together at Wombwell foundry, but there was a clash of personalaties,

To Grimewood,

Hi geoff nice to hear from you so many threads go unanswered, David and Jack were also good mates when they worked at the Foundry.

They also worked together at Wombwell foundry, but there was a clash of personalaties, and they haven't spoken for years but Im sure if they met it would all be forgotten, MEN.

Sheffield has changed so much, but I feel for the best in some places.

However I do feel we had the best times in the 60ties and 70ties and the 80tise weren't that bad.

Enough from me, I never no when to stop keep in touch plz Linda GXX

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I was an apprentice at Brightside Heating from 1967 to 1972, and then worked for them again in 1975-6 before joining British Steel. It was a great firm to work for, great mates, and some of the fitters were really top notch men, almost father figures. I have good powers of recall, and could list almost everyone that worked for the company at that time, but here are just a few to start with:

Bosses

Albert Summerhayes (nickname-Shaggers)

Grenville Crapper

Terry Scarborough

Ray Fluitt (sic)

Walt Parkin

Fitter/Welders

Brian Stent

Mick Needham

Eddie Sedgewick

Ernie Treece

Roger Crapper

Bill Walker

Mick Otter

Roger McKenna

Fellow Apprentices

Ron Booth

David & Peter Scaife

Mick Kirk

John McKenna

Harry Tuckwood

Stefan Sedgewick

John Staton

Paul Lowe

As I said, these are just a few. Many were good mates of mine who I know are still 'knocking about' Sheffield. I hope some of them read this and start a response.

Best wishes,

Fothers

Hi Slothers. I started at brightside 1950 i joined the birmingham branch in 1961. great years. Granville crapper was my best freind we served our apprentice ship together. He was 1 year older than me he must be 77 now.

As for the great Shaggers great little man always jolly & Good electric welder.

Ray Fluitt was a nice guy also a good electric welder. did you know my uncle

Fred sellars he worked for brightside for 50 years so did my dad charlie sellars. my best freind in sheffield was a big boss at english steel.

TERRY LEARY did you know him. ALL THE BEST. send a pm.

Hello Roy,

I remember Fred Sellars very well. He recall that lived in Darnall, and when I joined Brightside at age fifteen, he was renowned as one of the top fitters, but getting on a bit by then. He must have been about fifty-five when i first met him, but I got on very well with him, even though he could be quite a severe man on occasions. I didn't know Charlie Sellars, or Terry Leary.

Other, older names that I recall are:

Ernie Reed

Ted Smith

Len Cooper

Harry Osbaldiston

Wilf Blagg (Big Boss)

Hopefully, other ex-Brightsiders will respond in due course.

All the best,

Fothers

Roy,

I last worked for Brightside in 1976, and that's the last I heard of most of the people I've listed. Roger Crapper was Grenville's (or Granville's) younger brother. I never me their father, though his fame remained a talking point. I seem to recall his name was Herbert, but maybe I'm wrong.

The last I heard of Grenville, he had started a heating company with Keith Hoyes, one of the other 'top' fitter welders. This caused quite a grin at that time, because they had used their surname initials to name the business—H&C Heating, or in trade parlance, Hot and Cold Heating! Not the best name, really. No disrespect to them though, I hope they were successful. They were certainly top tradesmen, which is more than can be said for many heating installers these days.

Best wishes,

Fothers

Roy,

I last worked for Brightside in 1976, and that's the last I heard of most of the people I've listed. Roger Crapper was Grenville's (or Granville's) younger brother. I never me their father, though his fame remained a talking point. I seem to recall his name was Herbert, but maybe I'm wrong.

The last I heard of Grenville, he had started a heating company with Keith Hoyes, one of the other 'top' fitter welders. This caused quite a grin at that time, because they had used their surname initials to name the business—H&C Heating, or in trade parlance, Hot and Cold Heating! Not the best name, really. No disrespect to them though, I hope they were successful. They were certainly top tradesmen, which is more than can be said for many heating installers these days.

Best wishes,

Fothers

I'm sorry to have to inform you, but I heard that Grenville Crapper passed away (last year I believe). I heard this from Paul Hoyes, Keiths son.

I served my apprenticeship in the drawing office at Brightside when they were off Eyre Street (above Roseby's) from 1972. I remember quite a few of the names mentioned.