Brightside foundry heating & vent

Hi Roy..Great to hear from you. My Dad Anthony moved to Dundee in around 1968 to study Biological Science at Dundee University and settled in the city. My Dad is now 64 and obviously must be your cousin.. It's a small world! I'm 39 and my brother Jason is 35 we are both musicians.

Hope all is well in Canada. It's really wonderful to connect with relatives and remember our Grandad.

Tony

• 2 months later...

Just to let everyone know who worked at Brightside Heating, sadly I regret to inform you all that Ron Dolphin passed away Monday 19/01/15.

I will post any information relating to funeral arrangements asap

regards,

ten bob

Hi tenbob, I can not recall Ron Dolphlin I may have been before his time.

I started at brightside on Don rd in 1950 , i transferd to Birmingham branch in 1960. cheers Roy.

branch 1960.

---------- Post added 26-01-2015 at 19:20 ----------

when was the end of brightside heating.

---------- Post added 26-01-2015 at 19:23 ----------

when was the end of brightside heating.

Ron's funeral arrangements for those who wish to attend.

Ron Dolphin funeral will take place on Thursday 12th February 15.

It will be held at City Road Cemetery, at 11.15 am.

It will be a cremation.

There will be a wake at the CO OP funeral services building on Suffolk Road in Sheffield, after the funeral.

Regards,

Tenbob

• 9 months later...

Hi I served my apprentiship with Brightside from their Edinburgh office from 1968 to 1972. Huge chunk of that time I was with them on Benbecula in the Outer Hebrides gas welding some pretty big pipes.

Dread to think of the amount of asbestos lagging I stripped from old pipework !!!!

Edited by cardoon

• 2 years later...

I (Des Robinson) worked for Brightside from 1962 until 1985 and new almost all the names mentioned above. Fred sellers was affectionately known as Freddie hurry up due to is brisk walk. As an apprentice I worked with the 3 Crappers (Gren, Roger and Herbert) on Hyde Park Flats. The highlight of many days was all three falling out with each other.

My last few years at Brightside were as a commissioning engineer

I worked as a sub contactor for Brightside at Hornsey (north London) railway repair terminal in early 1975. The gaffer was Ernie Treece along with Brian Stent. Ernie smoked little cigars and Brian smoked a lot of 'Players Navy Cut'. I think Ernie later went to work -as an engineer- for Bassett's.

• 1 year later...
On 22/03/2009 at 22:51, roy sellars said:

Anyone worked at brightside foundry heating & vent company from

the fiftys.

I started work at Brightside foundry and engineering in 1956 at that time I lived in shiregreen. I left Brightside roundabout 1964 and emigrated to Canada. My line manager was Dennis Kelk. Mr Burley was branch manager. Wilf Blagg upstairs manager. I remember many of my associates which would include Bill Jackson, Keith Woodward, Ken White, Frank Beresford, John Huntington, Keith Valentine and many many others.

• 1 year later...

I've posted before on this thread. I worked for Brightside from becoming an apprentice in 1967. I have very fond memories of working with some very good blokes, but I lost touch after leaving in 1976 to work at the British Steel Corporation. I did some Open University while at BSC, which resulted in me going to work in Saudi Arabia in 1986. After several years in the Gulf I progressed to work on some very big projects all over the world. I decided stop travelling about ten years ago and to change career. So I went to university, and after graduating in English Literature, I did an MA and then qualified as a teacher. I currently lecture in English at a college just outside London. 

As I said, I still have fond memories of working at Brightside, so a few years ago I added a 'Brightside Heating and Engineering' page to my FaceBook account. The page has had a few visitors over the years. The trouble is, there isn't much information (photo's particularly) available on the web that is interesting and topical to post on the page. So, once you've visited the page, that's it! 

So, what I have done now is to establish a FaceBook group by the same name as the existing page—Brightside Heating and Engineering—and you can access it by clicking on the link below:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/595014121472372

A group is much more flexible in that it allows  members to exchange information in the group and to keep things updated without relying on a single person to keep it updated. What I'm hoping is that Brightside ex-employees, or relatives of ex-employees will join the group and begin to add photographs, anecdotes and other memorabilia. Just like this forum, really, but much more visual and with the means to show a much greater variety of information from using any . So, if anybody reading this has anything of interest, like photographs, anecdotes, updates on what you've been doing since Brightside closed down, etc, please join the group and start to post whatever you have. 

I look forward very much to hearing from anyone!

Regards to all,

Steve Fothergill