Cross Addy Street, Upperthorpe, Any memories

Do we have anyone who use to live on Cross Addy Street. It was up from Upperthorpe Baths and was the next road on the right past the Scarborough pub. The pub at the end of the road was the Victoria with a grocers at the other side. That was originally owned by Marshall's and later by the Goldthorpes. At the other end was Lilly's hairdressers and Marriotts haulage warehouse across from the was another corner shop.

HI

Did'nt live on Cross Addy Street, but have fond memories - had a few mates lived there.

We lived in the corner shop just below Crookesmoor School - diagonally opposite the Ashberry Pub.

There was a great fish and chip shop on Addy Street just round the corner from Cross Addy Street - used to sell 6d 'special' which was either fishcake (sheffield type) or chips with mushy peas on top and plenty of scraps. When you were walking back from the baths on a cold winters evening it was a real treat

Yes run by the Mason's he died some time back his wife lives on Norfolk Park. Strangley my mother bumped into the lady who worked there after they sold it.

My folks now live at Hackenthorper but when Mum goes to the Castle Market every Friday, she still bumps into people from the Addy Street area - I guess working in the shop every day helps people recognise her.

Originally posted by docmel

HI

Did'nt live on Cross Addy Street, but have fond memories - had a few mates lived there.

We lived in the corner shop just below Crookesmoor School - diagonally opposite the Ashberry Pub.

There was a great fish and chip shop on Addy Street just round the corner from Cross Addy Street - used to sell 6d 'special' which was either fishcake (sheffield type) or chips with mushy peas on top and plenty of scraps. When you were walking back from the baths on a cold winters evening it was a real treat

Originally posted by harwink2

I remember the family living in that shop below the school. Back in the sixties it used to belong to Meluish? Or is this another shop I am thinking of?

I spent many happy days at Upperthorpe swimming baths as a lad also.... is it still open?

Originally posted by harwink2

I remember the family living in that shop below the school. Back in the sixties it used to belong to Meluish? Or is this another shop I am thinking of?

I spent many happy days at Upperthorpe swimming baths as a lad also.... is it still open?

I am that Melluish!!!

Taking a guess - are you Andrew - now living in Oz???

• 9 months later...

Came across the site again.... Mark Meluish? yep, I remember and I am living downunda... that's Perth. WA. The Ashbury pub was the best place to be when collecting money around bonfire night... Quite a few of us kids lived in the area during the sixties. Anyone remember names such as Sweeny, Garton, Titterton, Metcalf, Willis and burgoyne? And do Upperthorpe swimming baths still exist?

This post brought up a few memories.

A long time ago I went to school with a lad from Addy Street.

His name was Roy Tandy.

I often wondered how his life had turned out.

Anybody know of him.

Happy Days!

Hi Andrew - hope you are keeping well down under - if I recall your family went out there while we were still at Myers Grove so you have been there a good number of years mate - it must be good!

I went across to Oz a few years ago on business - stayed in Melbourne for about a week and thought it was one of the best places on Earth I have ever visited. I can see why so many people, especially families, are attracted to it.

As to those 'names' - the only one that has been mentioned on this site was Tim Metcalfe and his two elder twin brothers.

At last mention, which was last year sometime, Tim had a pub in Lincolnshire somewhere.

You mentioned collecting with the guy outside the Ashberry - do you rememer some of the great bonfires we had on the 'spare' ground just below our shop? - I think half the fun was the build up to the night - the 'gang' sitting round teh fire keeping guard so no one raided it - we always seemd to get an old sofa to sit on - distant but fond memories

Archived