Cross Addy Street, Upperthorpe, Any memories

A mate of mine Mick Ratley use to live in the next pub down on Arthur St at the Whitby. in the late 50's /60's

I remember Mick Ratley, he was a nephew of a mate of mine, Arnold Ratley, who now lives in Oxford. Mick's mom & dad were Ted & Joan. Ted sadly died quite a few years ago, Joan now lives in Coventry I think.

I do not come from that area but during the War our house suffered bomb damage at Pitsmoor and we lived on Ashberry Rd at an aunt's and I attended Crookesmoor School for a short time. I have fond memories of the area especially sledgeing down Bannon Street in winter. The chip shop on Ashberry Rd and Thew's little shop next door.

How about just round the corner from Ashberry the newsagents Whiteheads and the little ice cream factory in the yard behind that only opened occasionally.

Also the Albino West indian guy that lived at the top of Oxford street

How about just round the corner from Ashberry the newsagents Whiteheads and the little ice cream factory in the yard behind that only opened occasionally.

Also the Albino West indian guy that lived at the top of Oxford street

Whiteheads newsagents - he gave me my first job -delivering Sunday papers to the flats on Martin Street. Come Guy Fawkes night he would sell the usual 'selection boxes' but then he would have a large wooden tray where the kids could pick 1d bangers, catherine wheels etc. - not sure whether that would be allowed now!!

Hi harwink i lived in Upperthorpe and married one of the Gartons still see John Taylor occaisionally

Hi mini b

Was it Alan you married? - if so, pass him my regards from Mark who used to live at the corner shop opposite the Ashberry.- and John Taylor, I went onto Friends Reunited recently and I am sure that I read he had been recently widowed, which is a shame given that he must be around the mid 50's like me.

Archived