Remember the Heartbeat nightclub

Very good days, the Heartbeat was the friendlier of all the clubs. My old mate Chris Hey was one of the DJ's (and very good to) but was sadly killed in a car crash at Ladybower in the mid 60's.

The Cavendish Club on Bank Street was another good venue, particulally on a Sunday night.

started going to heartbeat probably 1970/71.we used to even take some of our own soul records with us which the dj would play,cant remember his name,remember mighty atom being pretty crap in those days,got to know him in later years @josephines,still not impressed!! during the heartbeat days would go in the albert, montgomery(beer+wine only pub),bucaneer etc b4. Also used to go to the merry england.Used to go out to the charade @ the stag roundabout in rotherham every so often on friday nites but it did get a bit heated @times ,they always knew we were from sheffield because of all the umbrellas hung up in the cloakroom on warm summer evenings.Big joe was the doorman @ the heartbeat who was well known around town for years,he took gossips with dave beach for a number of years.Anyone ever see him around this days? we would have suits made to measure in those days for about £17 @ jacksons and pay weekly on our way down to bramall lane,also get our heads cropped every 2/3 weeks @ lou burgins or alfredo's. waffling on now!!!!! great times tho'

• 2 weeks later...
Chris was my mentor when I was at Silver Blades great guy . always sadley missed his life was took too soon.

Desy,

It was good to hear from someone who remembers Chris, yes he was a great guy. You probably remember that he was a mad Wednesdayite (like myself) and I often saw him at the Leppins Lane gate to the North Stand, I still think of him when I pass this spot.

Now for something very strange, I discovered that the girl who was driving the car on the fateful day worked with my mother. Just over 11 years ago I found myself working in the same office as a guy who was a passenger in the car, they say that Sheffield is the largest village in England but this is wierd.

Do you remember Chris's Mini van with the mattress in the back? I recall one instance with Chris and a girl in the Queens Rd car park in the early hours of the morning, I will leave the rest to your imagination.

Old man Williamson who was the assistant manager of Silver Blades use to make comments about the mattress to him. But I thought he was just joking. I have the press cutting of the front of the "Star" the day it happened.

I remember the Star feature with a photo of him on the front page, it was a headline if my memory serves me well. I was on the top deck of a bus reading it from the guy in fronts paper, the worst journey home I ever had.

I didn't go to the funeral, I don't know why not but a mate and I drove slowly down Denham Rd when (I think) they were placing his coffin into the herse.

What was the actual date?

• 3 years later...

I certainly do. It was a regular meeting place for myself and three or four mates during the late 60s / early 70s (Barry, Ernie, Ken - where are you now?). We'd meet in the Bowling Alley Bar on a Friday or Saturday before going up to the Heartbeat. It probably had the finest sprung dancefloor around at that time, and it was the first time I ever heard sounds like Billy Butler - Right Track and The Upsetters - Return of Django, as well as the regular Motown stuff. The beer was typical nightclub slop, and you needed a tie, trousers and jacket to get in, but we had some great times. I once estimated I tried to chat up about 2000 girls in there and failed miserably every time!

I used to go there later in the 70s to the Samantha's Northern Soul All-Nighters, and even to a few in the last few years, run by John Vincent. Now it is sadly no more, and, the last time I looked, awaiting demolition. Such is the way of one's formative experiences.

Archived