Italian descendants

I would like to add my fathers name to the list of terrazoworkers at Hodkin and Jones. He was Enrico Del.Mistro. A lot of thhe names listed are familiar to me. Dad retired in 1965. He spent all his working life at Hodkin and Jones. I also knew a lot of the icecream makers and used to go with my father to visit them on Sundays.

Edited by maniago

I would like to add my fathers name to the list of terrazoworkers at Hodkin and Jones. He was Enrico Del.Mistro. A lot of thhe names listed are familiar to me. Dad retired in 1965. He spent all his working life at Hodkin and Jones. I also knew a lot of the icecream makers and used to go with my father to visit them on Sundays.

I knew the Del Mistro family very well. They lived on East Road as did I. Very friendly family. Lost touch when we all got married. Allthough for many years we walked down East Bank Road with Mrs DelMistro after Mass on a Sunday.

Hi Rita & Emelia; ptrA

Hello ptrA

Yes I am Rita. I thought you were abroad,When I spoke to tou last you were on holiday in Sheffield. Mother was a fit old lady up to a few years before she died May 2006 aged 96. Still live in Charnock but for not much longer downsizing keeping our fingers crossed. I had already made contact with Len through Italian descendants as a result going to an Italian reunion

Thank you for your regards mine to you and yours

Rita

Edited by maniago

• 3 months later...
hi there, my maiden name was ella louise pellegrina .i was born and bred in sheffield. always wondered where the italian name came from. now i know.

hiya just logged on to this site and found it very interesting with the replies of where we all came from eg italians, and poles and the like i have written on another site of how lucky i suppose we got here as of me my paternal gt grandfather came from east anglia, grand father was born in boston lincs, my grandmother i don't know ,her parents were romanies, my maternal grandfather was scottish from larbut, my grandmother was from nottingham, my father was born in doncaster, my mother in nottingham.

i have just looked in my street atlas for 1894 and here are some italian ice cream makers of the time

john carboni 22 lambert st

antonio cassinelli 212 gibraltar st & 33west bar.

peter granelli sheaf market.

angelo molinari boston st.

joseph monfredi115 ecclesall rd &213 st philips rd

shopkeepers.

matto monfredi 186 infirmary rd

mrs annie cassinelli 24 smithfield.

antonio zanelli 177 don rd

ps have just read your letter related to the name fantozzi and i remember my dad mentioned the name from when he was small he lived around the bottom of st philips rd area around 1912/18.another name you mentioned was cuneo, they had a shop on division st, tony went to the same school as me although he was 4/5 years older than me.

Edited by willybite