Hollow Meadows - Does it still exist?

No, Sanman. There were (in all probabilities) H signs for King Edward's hospital, but I distinctively recall there being some for Hollow Meadows - infact, I could show exactly where one of them was!

Heading out of Sheffield, past where the old Log Cabin used to be (which was on the right after the Norfolk Arms as you come out of the wooded area) on the left hand side of the road it was located about 100 yds further on - quite close to Hollow Meadows itself.

I remember it as a welcoming sign because it told me that I was about to turn round and run the remaining 5 miles home!!

On a slightly different note, does anyone remember the old phone boxes there used to be on the Snake Pass? I believe there were a couple, probably one owned by the AA and the other RAC.

Three possible manifestations of the same institution ?! -

from Pawson & Brailsford's Illustrated Guide to Sheffield (1862) -

"In 1849 the Guardians leased from the Duke of Norfolk about 50 acres of moorland, at Hollow Meadows, about six miles from the town, with a view of reclaiming it by pauper labour. Nearly the whole of the land has been brought under cultivation, and sub-let to farm tenants. The Farm, as it is called, is still retained by the Guardians, and a number of the able-bodied men who require relief in times of bad trade are sent to labour at it. The undertaking has been so successful that at the time we write (February 1862) the Guardians are in negociation for the leasing of further land."

from White's Directory 1901

"THE TRUANT SCHOOL, at Hollow Meadows, was established in 1879 as a means of discipline for recalcitrant children, and will hold 90 boys."

from White's Directory 1919/20 -

"The SHEFFIELD EDUCATIONAL COMMITTEE INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL is at Hollow Meadows, about seven miles from the City, on the main road to Manchester, and provides for 90 boys, the average number of inmates being about 80. The boys are largely employed in market-gardening. Superintendent, Mr Isaac McHardy."

(note: the 1901 Directory of Sheffield is an excellent online source of historical information)

Hugh in Walkley

Thanks for that Hugh W.

I think I can remember, when in the 1970s we seemed to go over the Snake Pass nearly every Sunday, my mum referring to the place as a 'Bad Boys Home' or a 'Naughty Boys School'. Something like that!

Interesting stuff posted, mate!:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

My gggrandfathr Robert Randall was born at Hollow Meadows in 1810. This must have been in a cottage I think because the institutions mentioned ( Borstal or mental hospital ) would not be the sort of places where children were born. The road up to Snake Pass was not built until 1820 so I assume that in 1810 there was not much but a hamlet there accessed by a track. Are there cottages of that vintage still there and are they just a handful? What work would there have been - shepherding? Any information please?

Gerard

Some really interesting stuff.

I've heard (can't remember when) that Hollow Meadows hospital was once used for people suffering from TB - the theory being that the best cure was plenty of fresh air. More likely they'd get pnumonia up there IMHO.

Originally posted by Longcol

Some really interesting stuff.

I've heard (can't remember when) that Hollow Meadows hospital was once used for people suffering from TB - the theory being that the best cure was plenty of fresh air. More likely they'd get pnumonia up there IMHO.

Are you getting confuddled with Lodge Moor hospital? I believe that became an isolation unit for the likes of folk suffering from TB.

It's brass monkeys up Lodge Moor and one place guaranteed to give you a cold (for those not used to it, ofcause!).

But I could be wrong, or too young.

I prefer the latter.

Originally posted by englishedith

:help: Can anyone tell me is this place still there and what was it home/ hospital /institution? thankyou,... EE.:)

Have put this into google and now i know it's an actual area ..I do know an uncle of mine was in a home/institution?? there in the 50's and i've always known it as hollow meadows. So is anyone able to tell me if the place is still there or changed to some other ,,Englishedith

Yes it has been converted to lovely houses. my friends parents lived.

Originally posted by Ousetunes

Are you getting confuddled with Lodge Moor hospital? I believe that became an isolation unit for the likes of folk suffering from TB.

It's brass monkeys up Lodge Moor and one place guaranteed to give you a cold (for those not used to it, ofcause!).

But I could be wrong, or too young.

I prefer the latter.

Lodge Moor was indeed an isolation hospital, for such conditions as TB, and Scarlet Fever. in fact most infectious diseases of that ilk, which required isolation nursing were treated there. (the other isolation hospital being "Winter Street" aka "St Georges" which is opposite the University Arts Tower.)

Lodge Moor had a Spinal Injuries Unit, which had a fantastic sports centre, and facilities there.

A friend of mine had a son who was born with Cystic Fibrosis, and he was treated at Lodge Moor.

My father had a hernia repaired there, and most of my freinds with Spina Bifida were under the care of LMH.

When I was nursing we used to take our patients to the swimming pool at Lodge Moor, for hydrotherapy.it was a lovely flattish area, and had stunning views over the moors. I thought it was a great pity that it was converted into housing, rather than remaining the flagship spinal unit , pretty much second-only to Stoke Mandeville Hospital.

PT

I share your sentiments PT.

Whilst there's no doubt that the housing development is a nice (and indeed costly) one, I still wish it was the hospital, I think more out of nostalgia than anything else.

It obviously served its purpose and had superb facilities (I'd forgotten about the swimming pool). It was, to all intents and purposes a flagship hospital.

I can see the clock tower from my house and run past it nearly every day. I'm an old romantic and find the building charming, a local land-mark and at least David Wilson saw sense in keeping and upgrading the tower. (I believe it too, to be a private dwelling now, one commanding outstanding views.)

I was and remain puzzled into why the place was closed down. No doubt the words 'cut backs', 'budgets' and 'rationalising' will come to the surface.

One final point, the 51 still terminates just beyond (what was) the main entrance to the hospital. All these new houses have at least two cars each, and unless you're the lonely soul catching the bus for a walk up Redmires (or a session in the Three Merry Lads) then it seems well and truly an unused and isolated terminus. (Who knows, the now redundant ghosts that once haunted the corridors of the hospital might be the bus's only travellers?!!)

Archived