Anyone rented with ELR-Eadon Lockwood & Riddle

They are great!! Really friendly and helpful from day one when we viewed our house. Even now, if we have any maintenance problems they get it dealt with really quickly by a really good maintenance company who do the job properly as oppose to those bodge-job ones! Admin fees are around £70 per person, which compared to the other big agents is quite cheap!! Would definately recommend them :cool:

I rented through them and i am in the process of being robbed. They mad a big inventory containing thousands of things. Now when i left the flat the same company examined the property and came up with so many "problems" which was an absolute lie. He said property was not clean, dust on doors and door handles, dust on fridge..etc...etc.(they did not let us stay there when he was examining the property coz they said guy is not comfortable). Now landlord has asked for 120 pounds for cleaning. I can assure u,,, we worked our socks to clean the property.

So my advice is please,,,please take pics of every thing when u move in and when u move out...otherwise u would be in the same position as i am.

Good luck

For starters you should have been allowed to be present at the check out, whoever was doing the final inspection should have been happy to point out anything he considered a genuine issue. Have you appealed the £120 cleaning fee? Remember to always ask for proof, and they can't bill you for the full cost of cleaning the property if only spot cleans are required - this is classed as the landlord making a profit from his tenant and is not allowed.

'down2earth'....

Is it the landlord that is asking you for money or elr? I once found a property through an agent, but it was the landlord who we dealt with, and i had the same problem with him claiming money for anything and everything. Agents generally know the rules a bit better so won't charge for silly things and appreciate fair wear and tear. My dad owns a few places in Chesterfield and he uses the same deposit scheme as elr and they have to agree to what and why he is deducting. Also, ask if the landlord does have photo's to back up what he is saying. Good luck!!

I rented through ELR but it was managed afterwords by the landlord. But the person who did the initial and final inspection, I believe, was from one of ELR approved companys,,,,, so I belame ELR.

My case is with Dispute Resolution in DPS....I am gonna make this point that I was not allowed to stay while he inspected the property. lets see what happens....

• 5 months later...

We rented out our house through ELR and I have to say it has been a nightmare for both us and the Tenants from the word go.

As Landlords ELR are expensive and lazy. They were asked to inform us of any work that needed doing before going ahead, but on several occasions just charged it to our account without asking for permission. Then a fight would ensue to get the money back. A lot of the work they had done was not necessary (eg. Gas safety certificate when we had already had one done 6 months previously, ney keys cut when we already had 3 sets spare).

For the tenants it must have been difficult. They asked for the burglar alarm to be fixed and ELR for once asked if that was ok. We duly arranged for an engineer to contact ELR to arrange a date to go and fix it, but each time he tried to contact them ELR ignored the messages he left. Eventually we ended up ringing the tenants ourselves directly and asked if it would be ok for the engineer to ring them direct. (But then why were we paying ELR to manage the property??).

Absolutely useless and waste of money. I would strongly recommend trying someone else as either tenant or landlord.