Mould in my flat for over 2 years

Have lived in my flat for 9 years, all that time have had damp at the bottom of the stairs (I live in a first floor flat with my own entrance, not shared). The area at the bottom of the stairs is concrete and is always damp. Council have been out and looked at it over the years and say its my dogs peeing at the bottom of the stairs not damp. Er, no it ain't my dogs are housetrained ta and pee smells amoniac not fusty.

What are you doing with dogs in a Council block anyway?

Not in Council blocks with communal entrances. Well, not cats or dogs usually.

That all depends, Leviathan:- in the smaller blocks of council flats and maisonettes, tenants can keep a dog or cat, with the council's permission

The other tenants of the block also have to agree, and the dog owner must agree to prevent the dog from causing any nuisance. If one other tenant objects, then permission may be refused.

That all depends, Leviathan:- in the smaller blocks of council flats and maisonettes, tenants can keep a dog or cat, with the council's permission

The other tenants of the block also have to agree, and the dog owner must agree to prevent the dog from causing any nuisance. If one other tenant objects, then permission may be refused.

Hi P.T.

I knew that, but the original post is that the tenant was "entitled" to have pets in a Council block. As you say, this is only with permission and has to be allowed, it is not a right.

Did I say I had a communal entrance? No, I did not as I have my own front door so I am not doing anything wrong, if I were do you not think the council would have done something about it by now, I have only had my own dogs for 9 years after all - look at that, the same time as I have had my flat!!!!!

When I got my first dogs my tenancy agreement read that I could have up to 4 animals (of any description) (I believe it has changed now but they dont send out a new one every year, despite me requesting one numerous times). I did not have to ask my neighbours permission, but I do have to keep them quiet (not a problem unless my neighbour immediately below me kicks of at 3 or 4 in the morning which he regularly does - in fact that happens so often my dogs just ignore him now). I have only ever had 2 reports that my dogs were making noise, one was them, my new dog at the time decided that it was fine to kick off if left - it was not and he only did it once. The other time was the old crone next door tapping on my back door with a broom handle to get them to bark so she could report me, I had witnesses other than myself to her doing this and reported her instead.

Look at my original post, you have boldened 2 words in it, right next to where I state I do not share an entrance, I have my own!!!!

iv lived in my flat since march 06 and after a year mould appeard in my bathroom i complained to my housing association (ACIS GROUP) and they said they would sort it. but 2 years, 6 inspectors and 2 managers later nothing has been done! it has now spread from the bathroom to my bedroom and into the living room, destroying alot of things on its way!!!

does anyone think iv got a case to sue them for stress and negligence?? im trying to get compensation for loss of belongings which already totals upto £2,500 though i doubt i will get it all back.

please reply with your thoughts and comments,

thanks

The above post very much implies that there wasnt an issue with mould when you moved into the flat.

I think you need to try ventilating the flat more and wiping the walls etc with a mild bleach solution to get rid of any remaining mould spores. If you dont like the smell of bleach try tea tree oil put you may need more applications of this.

Mould grows in damp humid environments. To avoid it open windows in bathrooms and kitchens after you have created moisture, i.e baths, showers, boiling the kettle. Another good tip is to have the central heating on high and open the windows to circulate the air quicker.

I used to live in a housing association flat with condensation problems. It took a long time for them to do something about it, but eventually their surveyor said I needed to fit a positive input ventilation system. Basically a special electric fan in the wall that pulls dry air in from outside and sends it all round the flat pushing the damp air out. It worked. I had tried all the other things people have mentioned on here but none of them fixed it, just delayed the mould growth a bit.

The underlying problem was the very poor design and construction of the building itself.

Archived