Cheap ale wanted

charlotte85

although it is not technically politically incorrect to use it today according to the context...

I disagree, when said adjective is used in context with race or ethnicity it is entirely wrong and unacceptable and can only really be forgiven if the person using said term is of a low intellect or educationally challenged (and many people wouldn't even be so lenient as to excuse even that). If I was you I'd certainly refrain from using it in the future as people have every right to be offended by it due to it's negative historical semantics. I learned this when I was 11(seems like an eternity away now at 27) from my art teacher who was white but had two black sons.

There's a UN nominated 'best poem' that pretty much sums it up:

When I born, I black

When I grow up, I black

When I go in Sun, I black

When I scared, I black

When I sick, I black

And when I die, I still black

And you white fellow

When you born, you pink

When you grow up, you white

When you go in sun, you red

When you cold, you blue

When you scared, you yellow

When you sick, you green

And when you die, you gray

And you calling me colored??

I disagree, when said adjective is used in context with race or ethnicity it is entirely wrong and unacceptable and can only really be forgiven if the person using said term is of a low intellect or educationally challenged (and many people wouldn't even be so lenient as to excuse even that). If I was you I'd certainly refrain from using it in the future as people have every right to be offended by it due to it's negative historical semantics.

Well you sound very authoritative on this so I shall accept your definition of the contemporary position of the usage of the word.

No one looks forward to going to a with-a-spoon pub. It's just a meet up place where you have one and move onto a more quality establishment once your group is complete.

It has a purpose and serves it, however I wouldn't really wanna spend a whole evening / night in a withagoons pub. The percentage of wieners to real people is far to heavy and the law of averages state if you spend more than an hour in there, yer gonna get summat brought to yer doorstep that you didn't want or invite.

Utter rubbish. I've been in Spoons pubs all over the country and have never had any trouble. Maybe that's because I don't go looking for it.

Utter rubbish. I've been in Spoons pubs all over the country and have never had any trouble. Maybe that's because I don't go looking for it.

the only Spoons pub I have issues with is the Bankers...others are all fine....the one on Cambridge Street is good, and the Glossop Road one seems OK......

correct. the number of snobs on this forum is amazing.

how do they explain the number of wetherspoons that are in the good beer guide? some of them are magificent. commericial rooms in bristol and knights templar in london for example, far, far better than pubs such as the dove and rainbow.

how do they explain the number of wetherspoons that are in the good beer guide? some of them are magificent. commericial rooms in bristol and knights templar in london for example, far, far better than pubs such as the dove and rainbow.

The post you are referring to wasn't criticising the pubs themselves. And to be honest, I think the post was solely there to enable the use of 'comedy' alternatives to Wetherspoons. Don't really think it has anything to do with snobbery, do you?

Snobbery? gee-ore wit dee.

Just as a basis of comparison, when living on t'other side of sheff, my local pub of choice was the Shiregreen hotel.

And yeah, I was referring mainly to the Ham-shankers Draft mainly, as I really wouldn't wanna be in there for a whole evenings suppin'.

I wouldn't describe any chain store or chain pub as "magnificent" as that'd be on a par with saying a particular subway store was "magnificent".

Yeah, it maybe marginally better than others branches, but it's still a chain / template / corporate outlet which will always lack charicter and individuality.

A good night out, we all have different tastes, but for a cheap pub with real ales . clean friendly. with no music fruit machines just atmosphere try the Sheaf view at heeley. a pint of real ale from £1.80, loads of eurp beers, 8 real ales.

Archived