Pub on macro st 1800s

Yes, sorry Duffems, I had the knowledge of George William Easy's birth in 1886 and marriage in 1907, but got into a bit of tangle trying to sort out the later stages of his life with Beatrice Brooks. In truth, it is George Nelson who is proving elusive, and I am just trying to help the grand-daughter of Beatrice Brooks to get an accurate picture.

Many thanks, Duffems. You are always on the ball!

I suspect that Easy may have died in the late 1920s, or possibly in the year 1930, anyway before or around the time that Beatrice's father Charles H Brooks died ... as the youngest of Beatrice's children (Jean) was born in the last quarter of 1930, Easy did not die until mid-to-late 1930 at the earliest; and if she then married Nelson, it can only have been after 1930.

Using http://www.findmypast.com I checked death records for 1925 to 1940 and found no George W. Easy. The only George Easy I could find who died in the Sheffield district was a George T. Easy who died aged 70 in the third quarter of 1925.

Using http://www.findmypast.com I checked death records for 1925 to 1940 and found no George W. Easy. The only George Easy I could find who died in the Sheffield district was a George T. Easy who died aged 70 in the third quarter of 1925.

Snap, tried Ancestry also, same result. Maybe a family member should buy a birth certificate of one of the children?

I think one way of throwing some light on this mystery is to look at Beatrice's death certificate. Was she, as we think, Beatrice Easy. If so, it could suggest she was married to him ever since 1907. As for George Easy, he must have died after 1940, but I can tell you he was not around in 1950 when I first knew the folks at 78 Macro Street --and neither was George Nelson.

I am just an interested interlooper in this topic, and I have to agree that Chunkyfunky might be best served to study a number of birth certificates.

I am just an interested interlooper in this topic...

Aren't we all?! For my part, I had never heard of Macro Street until I saw this thread, but once I get the bit between my teeth...

As for George Easy, he must have died after 1940, but I can tell you he was not around in 1950.

I just looked at deaths from 1940 to 1950 and found a George W. Easy who died in Sheffield, aged 52, in April-June 1942 (Vol. 9c, Page 487). The problem here is his age - it had previously been established that a George William Easy was born in Sheffield in Jan-Mar. 1886 - which would make him 56 in 1942. A check of the GRO birth indexes from 1886 to 1892 confirmed that no other George Easy was born locally in this period (it would seem that a George William Easy born in Chelsea in 1887 can be eliminated). So I imagine that this is a mistake in the death entry, and that the 1942 death record is that of the George William Easy who was born in Sheffield in 1886. It is not unusual to find errors in the ages given on death certificates - I know of at least three such cases in my own family history.

I tend to agree with Redfyre and DUFFEMS that certificates might now fill in the details, as we may have got as far as we can expect to get using inspired guesswork and the GRO indexes.

hi everyone,

just been catching up with this thread,the birthdates you have mean nothing to me.

my mother's birthday was Feb 7th and was born 1923.(Gertrude Nelson) My uncle Walter Nelson was born 11th Feb 1927.I have seen the marriage lines that verify this date, and my aunt jean was born around december, but i am struggling to find any of her offsprings

According to the marriage lines of my aunt and uncle Walts father was called GEORGE NELSON his occupation is down as being a BLACKSMITHS STRIKER, and thats all i know but i will try and get my mothers birth cert in the near future.

thank you all for your help I thought it would be so straight forward, but there are so many twists and turns, I start thinking that it makes sense and then i'm dealt with some thing else that doesn't make sense.

Don't worry, Chunkyfunky, everyone is very understanding of the complications of your search, and some of us are quite intrigued by the mystery of the George Easy/George Nelson link. No doubt one of these days it will all add up.

Ironically, a few years ago I met a man called Brookes, who was related to one of your grandmother's brothers, and I know he lived somewhere in the Greenhill area. He was about 80 years old, and he had childhood memories of visiting 78 Macro Street. He gave me the impression that he knew both George Nelson and George Easy. Sadly, I did not take a note of this man's address, and, anyway, there is a possibility that he is no longer around anyway.

It might be worth getting a birth certificate for your mother to confirm she was definitely named Nelson.

Does your grandmother have a gravestone?

Hi Redfyre,

yes i believe she does, i remember as a child my gran said to mam that if she had money to spare after gran died don't waste it on flowers put it on our feet( my brothers and myself) instead.

I will continue to search into this. B/C in the near future and hopefully have an answer to my questions

Archived