Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

think it was later than early fifties sure i remember when it was all open ground

and that was late fifties

Just remembered something else rabitter, when I first went to Yew Lane Secondary School as it was called. There was only the prefab type school there, they built the brick one while I was attending Yew Lane. :)

queens coronation was 52, theyre currently building a new school on the mansel site to replace the existing building, its almost complete, i'll try & get a picture of the new building once theyve removed all the scaffolding

No it wasn't - she came to throne in 52 but coronation was in 1953

queens coronation was 52, theyre currently building a new school on the mansel site to replace the existing building, its almost complete, i'll try & get a picture of the new building once theyve removed all the scaffolding

mh01- i went past and i thought they was going to demolish the middle school like they have to the infants,,i was real curious so i phoned mansel and they assured me that the middle school was staying and not under demolition in future- it was a relief to hear as i had soo many great memoris when i went to mansel but its a shame they demolished the infants :(

I remember one evening in The Beagle when there had been a break-in the previous night, sometime around 1971/72 I guess.

Joe Williams was wiping glasses, explaining what had happened to a couple of ladies who were stood at the bar. He mentioned how the burglar had got in though a toilet window, and that one of the one-armed bandits had had its cash reservoir removed. Half way through his story, Alf Beer, who was sat a few tables away, interrupted him and said that the M.O sounded suspiciously like that of his own son, Wally.

Five minutes later Joe was on the phone to Hammerton Rd, and a few hours later Wally was picked up in Colley Club, arrested and charged

Thanks Dad!!!

So it seems that the prefab was put up in '52/53, then the main building was erected about 56? Is that about right?

I think so, I went to Yew Lane about 1954 because I left in 1958 and aren't you there 4 yrs? My elder sister attended Yew Lane before me, so 1952 should be about right, I've forgot what do we want to know this for anyway? :)

I remember one evening in The Beagle when there had been a break-in the previous night, sometime around 1971/72 I guess.

Joe Williams was wiping glasses, explaining what had happened to a couple of ladies who were stood at the bar. He mentioned how the burglar had got in though a toilet window, and that one of the one-armed bandits had had its cash reservoir removed. Half way through his story, Alf Beer, who was sat a few tables away, interrupted him and said that the M.O sounded suspiciously like that of his own son, Wally.

Five minutes later Joe was on the phone to Hammerton Rd, and a few hours later Wally was picked up in Colley Club, arrested and charged

Thanks Dad!!!

I remember Wally getting done for that didnt know his dad had shopped him.

I was once talking to Wally in the bookies on Margetson a few years later His dad walked in and set about Wally, apparently the five pence pieces he had been betting with had come out of their gas meter.