Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

One was called the red path the other was the black pathboth led to a

cardboard slide and a rope swing. ah happy memories

could you get to the swing via the public footpath on creswick lane,,it was right down the farmers fields which eventually led into ecco,,if thats the right one it was still there in the early 80's

could you get to the swing via the public footpath on creswick lane,

I don't know if you saw my article in The Sheffield Telegraph about "Favorite Places" in Sheffield. One of them was the Tarzan Swing at Bluebell Woods.

Tarzan Swing, Bluebell Woods – Creswick Lane

Once a year, one of the Sheldon family would climb fearlessly into the high branches of a great oak, shin out onto a sturdy limb, and after tying off one end, drop a thick rope down to six pairs of waiting hands. Then, one at a time, we ran up the bank clutching the rope, and leapt out into thin air, legs swinging freely, and yodeling like Edgar’s orphaned hero, Tarzan. Exhilarating!

nice to know that mate,,thanks,,,,i love the old quotes like the 8 foot,,ginnell,,where did these names originate,,the mind boggles :loopy:

Ginnell or Gennell is fairly common, hard or soft "G", but eightfoot is unique as far as I'm aware and I've no idea of its origin. [8 ft wide?]

Edited by Bushbaby

Ginnell or Gennell is fairly common, hard or soft "G", but eightfoot is unique as far as I'm aware and I've no idea of its origin. [8 ft wide?]

next time im passing i may take a tape measure,,you never know bush you could be right- 8 foot wide sounds plausible

bushbaby do u remember watching either the 1970 cup final or the world cup final on ya mate dicks (colour telly ) he lived on rocher if i remember ? i think his dad owned a couple of chemist shops,the first ever coloured telly we ever saw.....i could be wrong,or was it all just a dream

the first ever coloured telly we ever saw.....i could be wrong,or was it all just a dream

No you're absolutely right!

It was the first cup final to be broadcast in colour, and the Allens had a massive 21" Colour TV, and Dick invited a gang of us around to their stately home at No 21.

They had a Boxer Dog

I met Harry (dad), Barbara (Mum) and Richard about 12 years ago - the family had moved to a big house just over the M1 that had previously been owned by the Miner's Union, or Arthur Scargill as it was known then. It had a pool

My brother Mick works with (more likely for) Adrian, the youngest of the Allen boys

I don't know if you saw my article in The Sheffield Telegraph about "Favorite Places" in Sheffield. One of them was the Tarzan Swing at Bluebell Woods.

Tarzan Swing, Bluebell Woods – Creswick Lane

Once a year, one of the Sheldon family would climb fearlessly into the high branches of a great oak, shin out onto a sturdy limb, and after tying off one end, drop a thick rope down to six pairs of waiting hands. Then, one at a time, we ran up the bank clutching the rope, and leapt out into thin air, legs swinging freely, and yodeling like Edgar’s orphaned hero, Tarzan. Exhilarating!

Hi Bushbaby, I missed the article but you named my family and I assume you are talking about my brothers, one of em broke his knee after colliding with the tree, were you there at the time?

I don't remember the leg break incident, but Lee and Vaughn (and Glynn?) were all awseome climbers. They didn't have the fear that the rest of us had

i remember back in the 80's one of my mates was up the conkor trees in ecco graveyard and he fell out and smashed his head on a gravestone,,he was in a coma and survived,,,,does anyone remember strawsons house on the corner of yew lane-creswick lane-the huge bungalow with the conker trees,,,,we called it the dallas house