Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

see the old area made the national news (for the wrong reasons of course ) pity they had to put an "S" on the old Parson!!! makes me cringe that !

In my recent radio interview, I had a go at Rony Robinson for putting the 'S' on

Pete Howe: 1948-2011

Because he was such a flamboyant character, such a charismatic guy, everyone will have different memories of Pete. Here are a few of mine:

Firstly, in about 1964, when a group of “Long Haired Layabouts” (as my dad would have called them) were building a cycle speedway track on Wordsworth, a marvellous piece of engineering and very much driven by Pete and Ken. Pete was always active. One minute, pushing a barrow full of turf sods down to the bottom corner to build up the bank on that all important first bend. Two minutes later he’d be having a competition with our John to see who could do the best flying hand spring – then shortly after that he would have his guitar out and he’d be singing Beatles’ songs to Bee-bee and Barbara

A few years later I was on Deerlands Avenue with Steve Bower when Pete got off the 53, carrying the new Pink Floyd album, “Piper at the Gates of Dawn” under his arm. He had a shock of bleached blond hair and was wearing a pair of purple corduroy jeans, which were quite a tight fit, but he’d done that magic thing of cutting up the seam at the bottom and putting in some extra material to make them into flares – material he’d cut from his Mum’s best paisley headscarfe. We went into his dad’s house on The Mount and listened to the album. Pete really enjoyed the quirky Syd Barratt songs, “Scarecrow”, “Bike” and “Interstellar Overdrive” and wore a big smile all the way through them.

But my favourite memory of Pete’s is when he brought his band up to Mansell Youth Club to play for us. They set their stuff up in the corner of the little dark disco, Dave Heyward’s “Dave Clarke Five Junior Drum Kit” pushed right into the corner, and Pete and Phil Johnson out front with guitars and mic’s. There was no spotlight, just the spinning mirror ball throwing fast moving coloured lights all around the place, as Pete belted out the popular choices, “Loves to Love the Loved”, “King of the Saucepans” and of course, that perennial old standard, “Hit me over the head, with a Fire Extinguisher”

Great memories - great days. Thanks Pete

Did Pete Howe used to date a pretty girl with long hair. I think she lived on Remington Road. Or did I imagine it. If so what was her name. Thanks Penny.

Penny - you might be thinking of Christine Hadfield, who lived on Wordsworth, who I'm sure he married.

You ok Penny?

Great send off for Pete yesterday, a pleasant service followed by a few pints of Sam Smith’s in the Cow and Calf

Met some great old friends – Terry Howell, Deso, Manx, Keith Atkinson, Tommy Roebuck, Phil Stocks, George Stocks, Les Richardson, our Pete and John, and the still gorgeous Sandie Burns. Pete’s mum still looks great and Ken is fine.

Bumped into Ted Taylor and Pat Brown a bit later and continued drinking well into the night.

Great send off for Pete yesterday, a pleasant service followed by a few pints of Sam Smith’s in the Cow and Calf

Met some great old friends – Terry Howell, Deso, Manx, Keith Atkinson, Tommy Roebuck, Phil Stocks, George Stocks, Les Richardson, our Pete and John, and the still gorgeous Sandie Burns. Pete’s mum still looks great and Ken is fine.

Bumped into Ted Taylor and Pat Brown a bit later and continued drinking well into the night.

Lots of names from the past - sure he would have loved it. Sounds like he had a good send off - bless him!

Edited by KateT

My cousin lived on Yew Lane Veronica Harrison, iv been trying to find her for years no luck she married a Barry Fox, dont know if the names ring any bells let me know. thanks

You are obviously too young to realise the difference between Parson Cross and New Parson Cross. I go back to when there was a rivalry between the old and new estates,all lost in the past because both have come together to become a place where anyone with any ability will have left.

I wait for the comments of people who still live there and find it a lovely place to reside.