Anyone here from Attercliffe? (Part 2)

Hello lynblu. My nan used to tell me how your nan and her used to walk from the 'ten houses' each pushing a coachbuilt pram laden with their family's weekly wash to Oakes Green wash-house. No light manmade fibres, wool jumpers and cotton clothes!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi cliffsharky

Where did Titterton come from... Did you go to Huntsmans then? on other Titterton street and I lived second house on left - used to be able to see over into back of Cutlers pub from our back yard. Those were the days, drifting from Cocked Hat to Cutlers to Brit!!! The other day I was only talkin about us kids on the street... me and my friends (we were about 8) were nicely playin house in her back yard when this lad next door to her was givin us grief... I answered him back and he threw a stone at me... I ducked and it broke my friends house window.. and I got told off for duckin!!! My dad had to pay for and replace the glass... now thats not right....

Remember playing "Four wheels" when it was justing turnin dusk - someone had run to the Worksop Road whilst we got hidden.

Remember starting in the infants in Huntsmans - got a brand new navy blue coat and when I went to coe hom someone had nicked it and left an old scruffy thin cardi.... heartbroken I was!!! I remember Johnsons living in that first house on that part of Titterton (Joan had newsagents on Worksop Road) but cant remember anyone else on that side.

Hi Tangerine

I am David Johnson and we are the ones who lived at 41 Titterton street the one on the corner. I remember all the games we used to play including Kick Can. Run around the Lump (along your bit of Titterton Street down the gennel in the middle and back along Worksop Road finishing up the hiil back at Titterton Street). Others who used to play with were David Wade, Kenneth Sidaway, Marjorie (his siter) Jacqualine Parker, Julie Hatward, Anne, Derek Capes the Graysons, etc, etc. Mum did have the newsagents on Wrksop Road until she died in 1981 and Dad just never opened it again.

Hi Tangerine

I am David Johnson and we are the ones who lived at 41 Titterton street the one on the corner. I remember all the games we used to play including Kick Can. Run around the Lump (along your bit of Titterton Street down the gennel in the middle and back along Worksop Road finishing up the hiil back at Titterton Street). Others who used to play with were David Wade, Kenneth Sidaway, Marjorie (his siter) Jacqualine Parker, Julie Hatward, Anne, Derek Capes the Graysons, etc, etc. Mum did have the newsagents on Wrksop Road until she died in 1981 and Dad just never opened it again.

Are you David Johnson the triple jumper? and did you have the newsagents on Worthing Road?

Yep the same one although I would say that it was more of a news van than a newsagents. I remember how cold it was during the winter at the corner of Worthing Road, but met some lovely and facinating people (good old Attercliffe characters) and have some very funny and interesting stories to tell

Yes, its good to wander on to these pages when ya get a bit of spare time.... wanderin down Memory Lane or Titterton Street really!! Whenever I come on here, youve not long since been gone Brooksy!! Keep it up.... and I think I been around on here nearly as long as you...

Hi to Tangerine. coudn't help myself commenting on Titerton Street. I was actually born on Titerton Street in 1950, don't know what number but we moved to Pitsmoor when i was only 3 months old so can't remember anything about it. My dads parents lived across the road, can't remember the name of the street but they were called Johnson (i assume because that was my dads name, but you never know in those days. he married my mum (Elsie) whose maiden name was Sheperd she was a divorcee and her family lived down the cliff as well, again i can't remember which road.

Les Johnson

Don,t know if i have the right era for you but it,s interesting to see those street names cropping up on here.

Hi David johnson. I think you are probably related to me, If i am correct then your dads name would be Clem, he and my dad were brothers.

Let me know if i have the correct david Johnson but all your info on the paper shop seems to ring bells.

Les Johnson

Hi Tangerine. I was born on Titerton Street in 1950, but we moved to Pitsmoor when i was 3 months old, Frippa aka David johnson is my cousin.

My mothers name was Elsie Sheperd a divorcee with a son Graham, my dad was Les Johnson

(needless to say i was named after him) I just wondered if you (or anybody else on this board) new either of my parents if you are of that era. I have been trying to piece together who my mother was married to 1st time around (Grahams father) unfotunately neither of them are alive now and never spoke of things when they were alive.

Regards Les Johnson