Hot Chestnuts

Does anyone remember the smell of hot chestnuts sold by the bloke at the bottom of Pond Street steps just before you got to the bus station. I think he used to operate from around bonfire night onwards. It must be over thirty years ago, and I can still remember the wonderful smell. I wonder if anyone is still doing it nowadays?

The smell of roasted chestnuts is indeed evocative. I've seen chestnuts being sold fairly recently (well, within the past ten years) in Fargate. They cost more than the 4d a bag the Pond Street man charged in the 1960s, though!

The chestnuts we buy here in the autumn often come from Italy, but last October I visited Normanby Park in North Lincolnshire and gathered some (smaller but big enough) chestnuts from under a "spreading chestnut tree". They were lovely, roasted in the fire on Bonfire Night!

Does anyone remember the smell of hot chestnuts sold by the bloke at the bottom of Pond Street steps just before you got to the bus station. I think he used to operate from around bonfire night onwards. It must be over thirty years ago, and I can still remember the wonderful smell. I wonder if anyone is still doing it nowadays?

Hi AL

Believe it or not, there was a hot chestnut hut outside the Grand Floridian at Disney a couple of months ago.They were free and I kid not!!

Yeah, I remember him.He always wore a really long overcoat.He seemed quite ancient even then!You used to get them in white triangular paper bags!Lovely!

There also used to be a chap selling roast chestnuts from an old fashioned barrow / brazier who was sited at Moor Head ( close to Queen Victoria's statue). That was in the 1940's & 50's. His pitch was near the bottom of Cambridge Street on waste ground (probably a bomb site) and where I think Furnival Gate is now. He used to benefit from the trade of shoppers,cinema & theatre goers and late night revellers. That was of course before the influx of all the modern "Take Aways".

Nothing quite as delicious as a bag of roast chestnuts! Anyone remember him?

yeah a bloke named nich & his wife angie sell them opposite argos and a few more areas round there

Archived