Riddle on the back of a matchbox

Its driving me crazy ill post it and see if any of you know it alls ;) can answer it.

--A man walks into a shop to check the price of something.

"How much is one?" he asked. "£1.20," replied the shopkeeper. "And ten?" asked the man. "£2.40," said the shopkeeper. "Ok," said the customer, "I'll take 210," The shopkeeper charged him a total of £3.60 - what on earth was the man buying?

please answer this before i go mental.

Originally posted by Kristian

:suspect: You cheatin' PT? :D

I suspect that in her spare time, i.e., when not on the forum, Plain Talker indulges in a little lateral thinking. Of course, being a fan of Edward de Bono, I'm sure that I would also have worked out this puzzle - given just a little bit of extra time . :rolleyes:

Got any more matchbox puzzles yosser_huges?

the logic is there, for you to find the answer, if you look...

the second price is double the first price, the third price is treble the first. so each "thing" must be the same price...

It doesn't take a lot of lateral thinking to cotton on that (especially as there is only one number different each time... 1, 1+a 0, then a1+ a 0+ a 2...) that it must be individual numbers.

PT

• 6 years later...

Archived