Mr Kites casablanca bar division st - Anyone remember it?

I quite like Green Room - big bottles of proper Budvar and good acoustic nights. Always has a nice atmosphere and a relaxed crowd.

I heard the landlord bumped the rent up for the building to try and attract in another trendy bar and take advantage of the interest in the area - but then no-one else wanted to move in so they decided to set up a bar themselves! Strange way of doing business!

I recall many a happy night in Kites winebar in the early 80s. It was very 'hip' with the in-crowd of Sheffield musicians too, as was the nearby Washington pub.

• 1 year later...

Brain Mooney took Mr Kites over from the original and one-and-only Ted Gush whose son Toby was responsible for the drawing of Mr Kite that was the basis of the neon sign outside. Boggit and Sloggit aka Will Ford and Steve Dore plus Alan Dawson were the main labourers who put in the work prior to opening and Will found many of the enamel signs used in the interior.

Ted was also known as Basil Pocklington, manager of The Push who some of you may remember (Rat Ashcroft, Jerry Meek, Tag and someone whose name I have forgotten).

Original staff included Ruby, Marie, Jules, Che, to name but some.

• 3 weeks later...
Mr Kites - originally owned by Brian Mooney for whom the words style and taste were invented.

He was the one who got teh right 'mix' of people in there - and it is always the 'crowd' that makes a place

:) My Wife worked there from 1983-1990,she worked for Brian & Verena Mooney the only down side 2 working there was finishing at midnight every night. in fact it was quite a family affair her mum, 2 aunties & 2 cousins also worked there !

Apparantly Brian went bust & carried on trading in someone elses name

i really loved that friendly ramshackle old wine bar on division/devonshire st.i think its called the green room now,though its lost all its charm.

i first met my wife there!(so has she)

does anyone have any stories or old photos taken in there?

does anyone remember any of the staff there?

why did it close?it was always so busy?

I believe the lease ran out & they were then forced out by the lease owners in the 90's who effectively then took over their business they did move to Regent terrace but I think that it is a restaurant now.We use to attend during the West St run before finally the Limit only thing was we could not get a pint in there at that time & had to have a carafe of wine ,it made a good change though.

Archived