What is it like living in a house with no central heating?

...Other than COLD! 13% of Yorkshire homes lack central heating, do you live in one of them? How is it for you?

I am not sure how much weighting this should have on my disadvantages list of a potential rental home. Please help me out on this one!

Would you advise against moving into an old house with a gas fire in the kitchen & living room and just individual electric heaters everywhere else on this alone?

There is outside space to dry the washing...is this enough to prevent it from getting damp over the winter?

On the other hand, did you just move out of a house because of the lack of heating alone?

Questions, questions, questions! Thanks for your input :)

...Other than COLD! 13% of Yorkshire homes lack central heating, do you live in one of them? How is it for you?

I am not sure how much weighting this should have on my disadvantages list of a potential rental home. Please help me out on this one!

Would you advise against moving into an old house with a gas fire in the kitchen & living room and just individual electric heaters everywhere else on this alone?

There is outside space to dry the washing...is this enough to prevent it from getting damp over the winter?

On the other hand, did you just move out of a house because of the lack of heating alone?

Questions, questions, questions! Thanks for your input :)

I had never seen central heating before I arrived in England. It is rather nice that the heating comes on before you get up in the morning.

With today's insulation and double glazing, lack of central heating is probably not a big issue. If I wake up in the early hours the place is still quite warm. You can also put an electric heater on a timer to be ready for the morning.

As long as you have adequate heating, I doubt that it is a problem. I would also recommend a dehumidifier in the house. I leave one running whilst I am away and it keeps the place feeling warm and stops that musty damp smell.

My last house didn't have central heating. There was only one fire in the living room. It did get cold in winter. Although I had a couple of delonghi heaters and the rooms with those in were fine. If you're happy to buy portable radiators for rooms you want to be warm, you shouldn't have a problem, but the rooms without may be pretty cold in the winter time.

I actually prefer not to have central heating, just because fixed radiators annoy me. But I've got to admit they do warm the place brilliantly!

My boiler died about a week or so ago. It's not so bad, we're getting used to doing the washing up using hot water from the kettle.

We have an electric shower so we're still able to keep clean and the gas fire keeps us a wee bit warmer on a cool evening.

I would never go back to no Central Heating I think back to when I was a kid it was a complete nightmare it was so cold with frost on the inside of the windows in the morning no thanks.

My Aunt has no central heating but has double glazing but if you walk out of the living room to go upstairs the cold just hits you in the winter:o

With today's insulation and double glazing, lack of central heating is probably not a big issue. If I wake up in the early hours the place is still quite warm. You can also put an electric heater on a timer to be ready for the morning.

There is not any double glazing or insulation!!!! ...Are there grants available for landlords to put insulation in do you know?

My fellas house doesn't have central heating, but they have two giant fireplaces that warm up the whole house, and because its quite an old house its very well insulated because of the thick walls. Does get a bit nippy in winter but they do have gas so just crank up the fire! Theres also those water radiator things in the bedrooms and they're very toasty :)

My brothers place has no central heating, but because it's in the capital it's about the size of a pantry (slight exaggeration;)), so it doesn't get too cold. I'm sure if the rooms were bigger you'd feel it because I don't think he has double glazing, which would of course keep it a bit warmer.

Edited by JenC