What is it like living in a house with no central heating?

Our mid-terrace has no central heating. The front of the house gets the sun (if there is any), which keeps my study warm enough. I have not needed any extra heating in here all winter.

The bathroom is small and warms up immediately when the shower is on or a bath is running.

I tend to have at least two windows open all day, and the bedroom window at night (noisy neighbours permitting).

We have gas fires downstairs which we use as needed - usually for visitors :)

I grew up in an old house without central heating. There was no gas in the area to supply it. Many houses in remote locations rely on fires and electric heating like storage heaters. That in itself isn't a problem in renting a place.

But if you are asking if I'd rent a place with inadequate/dilapidated/overly expensive systems then no I wouldn't. Would I move out of a house because it couldn't be heated properly at a reasonable cost - yes I would.

My home, although fairly new, doesn't have central heating and I don't miss it one bit. I have cavity wall insulation, good loft insulation and double glazing so am always warm, also electric background heaters in the bedrooms which warm the room in 5 minutes.

I am gratified to hear that 13% of Yorkshire homes don't have CH as I was recently called by my gas/ electricity supplier offering me a deal on boiler maintenance and the operator was totally gobsmacked when I said I didn't have CH, so I am not alone.

There is not any double glazing or insulation!!!! ...Are there grants available for landlords to put insulation in do you know?

If the house is in Sheffield, it might be worth having a word with the council - the have a section about non-council housing - have a look on the website. Different areas of the city have had help over the years with grants to improve old properties, not sure if they are for owner-occupiers rather than landlords though.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/housing-services/private-sector-housing

i miss the old house,we didnt have central heating just a lovely coal fire with a yorkshire range,on winter nights we would wrap up the steel plate/shelf from the oven in a blanket and put in the bed to warm it up,slack and tea on the fire last thing at night meant that the following morning the fire would still be lit keeping the room warm,im sure it was a lot healthier than central heating

My central heating broke down 3 years ago, so I have no hot water. I would get it fixed, but as yet, no one has recomended me a person to fix it.

Knowing me I will get a cowboy who will charge me £1000 to tell me it's broke and drink all my tea.