What is it like living in a house with no central heating?

38 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I'm not the benefit scrounger and can hold my head up high,

But you had the benefit of state education (I shouldn't imagine you were privately educated), which is part of the welfare state; yet remain spectacularly uninformed.

You can only hold your head up high because you've got no shame.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

But you had the benefit of state education (I shouldn't imagine you were privately educated), which is part of the welfare state; yet remain spectacularly uninformed.

You can only hold your head up high because you've got no shame.

👏

Lol -remember as a kid living in a coal board house which was heated by one coal fire and was as draughty as owt - and some of the private rented properties I lived in in the 70's - waking up to find ice on the inside of the windows.

Lucky now I live in rural France - like the vast majority of the people I have a wood burning stove for heating - £500 will keep us as warm as toast from October to April.

Just now, Longcol said:

Lol -remember as a kid living in a coal board house which was heated by one coal fire and was as draughty as owt - and some of the private rented properties I lived in in the 70's - waking up to find ice on the inside of the windows.

Lucky now I live in rural France - like the vast majority of the people I have a wood burning stove for heating - £500 will keep us as warm as toast from October to April.

Similar here.  Didn't have central heating, just a single coal fire in the living room. Then in my first flat I just had a 3 bar electric fire and yeah, lots of ice on the inside of my windows in winter.