The best coffee in Sheffield?

What is the best coffee shop in the town centre?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best coffee shop in the town centre?

• F.O.B
    • Utopia (West One)
    • Starbucks
    • Costa (Abbey National)
    • Coffee Rev (Uni)
    • Cafe Moco
    • Other

sorry but are you joking. I have only just read that reply. You do realise its just espresso and milk that makes a latte no matter where you go how can you say that starbucks coffee is bad.

It's just some peoples way of trying to sound like they have superior tastes to the masses. If any of the little independent coffee shops they rave about became big multiple chains they would turn on them too. The same people would slate any success story..nando's, mcdonalds, wetherspoons etc

The Italian Cafe (not sure of name) near the Cathedral Tram Stop, which is closing next week and moving to Norfolk Row across from the Catholic cathedral is fab.

In Broomhill Remo makes amazing coffee and El Toro the tapas bar is good too.

In Crookes, Tom Scotts.

Agree, Gusto Italiano it's called.

sorry but are you joking. I have only just read that reply. You do realise its just espresso and milk that makes a latte no matter where you go how can you say that starbucks coffee is bad.

Lynxb4u - I am not a fan of Starbuck's coffee - I appreciate you work there and I wouldn't wish to hurt your feelings - so don't take this personally please. But I find Starbuck's coffee very weak. It is typical of how the American's like their coffee and it's almost a different drink to the lovely rich Italian roasts.

I think Starbuck's success has been in it's mass marketing and the fact it has so many shops. I think that the layout of the shops, with comfy easy seating, is a big draw. I'm not saying I don't like the easy style of these establishments - in fact I think that's great.

If I do get dragged into a Starbuck's - as has been the case on a few occasions with business colleagues - I have found a compromise that I can live with. Always order an extra shot. This way the incipid weak Starbuck's coffee can be turned into something reasonable.

But still nowhere near as good as authentic Italian style coffee, such as Lavazza, for example.

It's just some peoples way of trying to sound like they have superior tastes to the masses. If any of the little independent coffee shops they rave about became big multiple chains they would turn on them too. The same people would slate any success story..nando's, mcdonalds, wetherspoons etc

:hihi: I guess that must be me then!

I think that a lot of the places you've mentioned are absolute garbage to be honest. Let's take McDonald's - are you telling me this is good food? Are the burgers good there? I think not.

I'm not trying to sound like I have superior taste - I'm just being factual. I could take 4 oz of beef mince, add a bit of seasoning, maybe some finely chopped onion as well, and make a burger that would beat anything that McDonald's sell, in any blind tasting test.

I think these kind of places exist to cater for the masses and there's nothing wrong in that at all. In fact, I think these places do a very good job of making a lot of people very happy - and long may they continue.

But let's not try and pretend this is good food and to say otherwise is somehow being snobbish about it.

ha ha you clearly have no idea of what good coffee is:hihi: starbucks dont make me laugh ! sucessful yes due to clever marketing, good on them for that, but milk steaming monkeys are NOT BARISTAS :roll: coffee in starbucks and other chains for that matter costa etc etc are a production line of oversteamed, superheated, over sweetend beverages, espresso if you can call it that under tamped so little or no crema, over roasted and bitter beans with an acidic after taste...mmm nice not:gag: your comment that "its just espresso and milk" that makes a latte shows your lack of knowledge, not your fault just lax training by chains, put starbucks against any independant Bragazzis, caffetteria, gusto, siena and starbucks = fail tastewise and skill wise sorry:o

:hihi: I guess that must be me then!

I think that a lot of the places you've mentioned are absolute garbage to be honest. Let's take McDonald's - are you telling me this is good food? Are the burgers good there? I think not.

I'm not trying to sound like I have superior taste - I'm just being factual. I could take 4 oz of beef mince, add a bit of seasoning, maybe some finely chopped onion as well, and make a burger that would beat anything that McDonald's sell, in any blind tasting test.

But let's not try and pretend this is good food and to say otherwise is somehow being snobbish about it.

A mcdonalds burger is perfect food! Im sure you could rustle up a better tasting burger, but it wouldnt taste like a big mac. A big mac has gone beyond being a burger, it's a Big Mac. And you can only get them from mcdonalds and 20m people a day do so it must be good food? I'd def chance your burger though if you slipped a bit of finely chopped onion in!

A mcdonalds burger is perfect food! Im sure you could rustle up a better tasting burger, but it wouldnt taste like a big mac. A big mac has gone beyond being a burger, it's a Big Mac. And you can only get them from mcdonalds and 20m people a day do so it must be good food? I'd def chance your burger though if you slipped a bit of finely chopped onion in!

Ok ripsaw - we'll call it a truce. I will send you one of my burgers down the internet connection right now, complete with finely chopped onion. In fact, I will chop the onion extra fine just in case you've got a slow internet connection.

I am placing said burger in the CD drive now....;)

ha ha you clearly have no idea of what good coffee is:hihi: starbucks dont make me laugh ! sucessful yes due to clever marketing, good on them for that, but milk steaming monkeys are NOT BARISTAS :roll: coffee in starbucks and other chains for that matter costa etc etc are a production line of oversteamed, superheated, over sweetend beverages, espresso if you can call it that under tamped so little or no crema, over roasted and bitter beans with an acidic after taste...mmm nice not:gag: your comment that "its just espresso and milk" that makes a latte shows your lack of knowledge, not your fault just lax training by chains, put starbucks against any independant Bragazzis, caffetteria, gusto, siena and starbucks = fail tastewise and skill wise sorry:o

So Starbucks is successful because of it good marketing?? and the drinks are terrible?? ... how can that logic work really.. considering how many stores Starbucks have world wide your view just doesn't make sense. No company can go global by making terrible products and just having good marketing it just doesn't work like that.

I will admit that not every single drink made there is the same consistent high quality that it should be but we must be doing something right if we have people visiting daily ordering the same drinks.

If i was to go somewhere and i wasn't impressed with the quality of product i am receiving there is no way i would go there everyday so we must be doing something right to attract such a large collection of regulars.

As for the remark about what a latte is :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latte

second line down i quote "is a coffee drink made with espresso and steamed milk"

The only variation you can get to a basic latte is the espresso roast used, the temperature and the way the milk is steamed.

On this subject i would say there is no "best cup of latte" it all depends on the person that is making it and how fresh the beans are they are using.... Just stay clear of mcdonalds because there coffee is absolutely terrible which i am sure me and ab6262 can agree on

Archived