Gypsies in the Sheffield area years ago.

PopT

Does anyone remember the traditiona gypsy camps in and around the Sheffield.

How they earned money from reading palms and selling clothes pegs, handmade goods, pots, pans and all manner of things.

I'm sure there are many stories and memories to be told.

PopT

hi popT

i lived in Ranskill rd a gypsy family came 2 or 3 times a Grandfather his grandson and his granddaughter they lived in the old type gypsy caravan pulled by horse never sold anything just potted about the caravan was magic everything they needed was in it and no trouble at all got water from the club he drank in the club never any bother

There was an old style gypsy caravan on Myers Grove Lane in the 1950s, that we used to pass by on our way to the rifle range in Little Matlock Wood. It was inhabited by "Darkie Glossop" who died in c. 1960. His caravan was then burned on the spot - apparently it was a health hazard. I'd love to know more about old Darkie.

Hi Hillsbro

I am a distant relation of 'Darkie Glossop' and I would love to find out more about him for the Family History.

I was told he died after falling down the steep embarkment across the road from his caravan above the old mine but I am not sure of the details.

Just for the record, he was never a gypsy, he just preferred to live his own independant lifestyle and brought up a good family.

If anyone reading this can send me any details about him and his family I would love to hear from them.

Please send me a PM. PopT

Archived