The Brown Bear - is it time it got door staff?

Alemonster

'I say O, I say R, I say O, say R si R si O R, hehehe' 'bitter'

I say O Arrr, si *points at old lady* R mi darlin, O Ar, dancing! hehehe.

He's bloody brilliant. I have sat down and had a conversation with him a couple of times, you can actually make some sense out of him after a while.

Yes he is......surprised he is still around actually, he was drinking all day every day 25 years ago when I first saw him in Walkley area and he looked ancient even back then.....he must be 80+ and still knocking back the booze by the gallon....

It's been interesting to see all the responses, but I think the place could do with having door staff, say coming on shift around 7.30pm on Friday and Saturday nights, around the same time the all day drinkers might be wanting to let off steam.

Yes I've been wondering about Sam Smith's too. They make some great beers - e.g. oatmeal stout comes in as one of top 2% of beers on ratebeer.com, and their organic lager is as good as any pilsner style beer I've tasted. But with places like the Bear, or the oyster bar place in Manc, they market themselves as selling cheap and not very nice keg type beers for that end of the market. Can you even get their good bottled beers in their pubs??

Sam Smiths is a Godsend down in London. Their pubs are fantastic, beautiful buildings, good beer and cheap prices in a world of expensive rip-offs.

My little silver haired mother, myself and my wife popped in the Brown Bear on Saturday evening. It wasn't yet 8pm and already the place was full of drunks. I won't go into all the unpleasant details, but for no real reason, one tried to pick a fight with me. It got a bit scary when he tried to drag me outside. Eventually the landlord, grumbling at having to come downstairs yet again, sent him on his way. My wife summed it up saying that the cheap beer attracts all day drinkers, but if that's the type of customer they don't mind having, then they should have door staff like the many city centre bars and pubs have. If that had been the case on Saturday, that particular trouble causer could have been dealt more swiftly, without the situation escalating.

Needless to say, depsite the pleasant interior of the pub and good beer, we shall not be going in again until those in charge do something about their unruly customers.

It's the unruly customers that others go in for though - Last time I was there was 2pm on a saturday watching a old man wet himself on the way back from the toliets, and chating to a guy covered in tats who had just been released from jail - his lady friend was with him, she'd waited 3 years for him and the first thing they could think to do was go for a pint - each to their own!

I have to say I've never actually seen anything really kick off there though - but when you get strong ale at a excellent price, a city centre location surrounded by crappy boozers selling weak beer for lots of cash, you will get a good few drunks...

Does the landlord still have his Rotty??? Before the refit, a sniff of trouble and the dog was sent down...

I totally agree with you. If it's not careful it's going to end up the same way as the Cannon, Market Tavern and Hen & Chickens.

The Bear has absolutely nada in common with any of these pubs! I am guessing you have never been in any of them? The punters in those three sold knock off and many other items for those who wanted whatever... The Bear sells a great pint at a low price for a few ***** artists and far more shoppers who like beer... I am sorry you had a bad experience in a bar where I have gone to many many times and seen nothing of the sort - Perhaps you should give it another go? Or just leave it and go elsewhere?

I totally agree with you. If it's not careful it's going to end up the same way as the Cannon, Market Tavern and Hen & Chickens.

don't that powers that be realise shutting down problem places like the pubs you mention only moves the dreggs of society elsewhere in this case the brown bear by the sounds of it.

don't that powers that be realise shutting down problem places like the pubs you mention only moves the dreggs of society elsewhere in this case the brown bear by the sounds of it.
They do realise - for example, when they shut down the cannon, the licencing officers went round the local pubs warning them that they may get the cannon "regulars" trying to get in...

I personally had to deal with more idiots that day than in the previous 6 months (and no, not one of them got served, despite various and imaginative threats :D)

They do realise - for example, when they shut down the cannon, the licencing officers went round the local pubs warning them that they may get the cannon "regulars" trying to get in...

I personally had to deal with more idiots that day than in the previous 6 months (and no, not one of them got served, despite various and imaginative threats :D)

yes i heard you set your disco gear up and they all scarperd fingers in ears :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived