Woody's Sandwich Bar - Hunters Bar

Liam101

I'll try and do my bit for public service:

I don't have any links to sarny shops, but I live and work near Eccy Road, so in my objective opinon, I'll rate the following:

1) Woody's, Hunter's Bar:

8/10 for sarnies - lovely sarnies, but depends who's making 'em

6/10 for speedy service - again depends on who's serving, but at least you can sit and read papers if it's slow. However, it's always friendly;

8/10 for price - good value, big sarnie

Therefore 22/30 overall IMO

2) Spoilt for Choice, opposite Berkely precinct: That's exactly the problem - too much choice: stick to what you're good at, therefore:

6/10 for sarnies. Not keen on the small floury bread cakes (but that's just me!) They'd do better with Roses bread cakes

8/10 for Service - half of the staff seem like proper chefs at the back, but front of house sometimes not on the case

7/10 for Price, due to the amount of choice on offer. Prices will be cheaper if they limited what they have. Again, not a bad thing, so if you like choice, I'd recommend.

Therefore 21/30 overall IMO

3) 243 Sandwich Shop or whatever it's called near Nursey Tav - good fast service, therefore:

8/10 for service - lovely, friendly folk

8/10 for sarnies - no complaints, but sarnies sometimes fall to bits as they cram too much in - but that's not such a bad thing!

8/10 for price

Therefore 24/30 overall IMO

4) Seans Bakery at Banner Cross:

9/10 for Speedy service - it's either the same chap, who I assume is Sean or a no-nonsense lovely lady that makes a good fast sarnie - no messing

9/10 for Sarnies - just try the proper old fashioned, ham salad with salad cream - nowt fancy but great

10/10 for value

28/30 overall IMO

All the above are good. The above is just my opinion and it's great to see independent sandwich shops in Sheffield! If I rated the likes of Subway in my poll, it would get 2/30 - overall: utter rubbish! If you're skint, get down to Aldi and buy some bread cakes / ham / cheese whatever and make your own. I've been doing this of late and good lord, you can can save a fortune!

Ta

Missy

• 1 year later...

My old man is in the process of writing a book on quality sandwich shops in the North of England and I have tagged along with him on his journey around my own City of Manchester,liverpool,Leeds,Newcastle,York & Sheffield.

I have to say I totally agree with his assessment that WOODY`S at Hunter`s bar roundabout on Ecclesall road in Sheffield is by far the best.

Their choice from Crayfish & Rocket,Advacado,pecorino & sundried tomatoes& Sweet chilli chicken to the famous FULL MONTY with superb lincolnshire farm sausages & top quality bacon makes the place unmissable,and overall the combination of friendly staff,great background music,free newspapers and superb reasonably priced sandwiches make it a clear winner.

As a footnote,I was chatting to the Tennis pro at nearby Hallam Tennis Club who told us a lot of local sports people come out of there way to use Woody`s including a number of Wednesday & United players,Cricketer Michael Vaughan and a variety of well Known local musicians.......clearly they can`t all be wrong.:)

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...