Kelham Island Tavern..

Okay...

You were the only person in the toilet at the time the picture was smashed. That was evidence enough for us. I'm sure if you'd have been anywhere else you would have been asked to leave without being allowed to finish your drinks.

You did allow them to finish their drinks, but you DON'T know he broke the picture. It was quite disgraceful to be honest. I was talking to a couple of the chaps (not young lager louts, but respectable looking blokes), and a couple had travelled all the way from Darlington to sample the "best pub" in the country as they were avid real ale fans . They were quite frankly disgusted at your attitude, as was I.

indeed! how is knowing the picture was smashed after the chap left proof that he did it? :loopy: have they got cameras in there' date=' or have a witness? :huh: think i might give the place a miss this weekend too, i dont want to run the risk of being accused of breaking anything :rolleyes:[/quote']

I only go in there once a month at most, so they won't exactly be losing that much by losing mine and my friends custom. The attitude on that day to those chaps (mid afternoon by the way), and the attitude on here means that I'll give the other local real ale pubs my custom instead.

If you're going to accuse someone, at least have proof.

I only go in there once a month at most, so they won't exactly be losing that much by losing mine and my friends custom. The attitude on that day to those chaps (mid afternoon by the way), and the attitude on here means that I'll give the other local real ale pubs my custom instead.

If you're going to accuse someone, at least have proof.

we only drink there about once a month also, and im sure they can happily survive without my groups custom. But events like this (and the attitude that followed) have a way of putting people off a place, as individuals they might not miss us, but as a collective they will surely feel the damage of bad customer relations.

To be honest guys, i think the matter should just be let go, we know there was an incident and that the guy is no longer chairman at Camra (personally i think Dave is a good bloke, thats only my opinion for what its worth! Maybe he was caught on an off day?)

On a lighter and much happier note i'd like to wish Andy Cullen all the best as new chairman of the sheffield branch, i know that he posts on here very regularly and i'm sure that he'll do an excellent job, good luck Andy!

Yes many congratulations to Andy C. But just to clarify a few things regarding what happened.

1. The picture wasn't broken earlier in the day

2. There was only one person in the toilet at the time I heard the smash

3. On asking a customer it the smash had been in the front room or the kitchen I next checked the gents toilet

4. Another customer had entered the toilet and directed my attention to the broken glass.

5. The guy who had originally occupied the gents left and sat down with the group which we ejected.

6. I then had to screw the remaining bits of the frame off the wall (what was left of it had be pulled so far forward the frame had cracked and the glass smashed.

When the person in question was quizzed about what happened they first denied knowing anything about the incident, the said the picture 'fell off the wall' while he was in there (even the remaining frame had to be unscrewed from the wall).

On leaving one member of the group became very aggressive and started mouthing off to the staff behind the bar.

If someone entered your own home and without any premeditation started smashing up your possessions would you be very pleased. The group in question should be thankful they were asked to leave without the police being called.

The picture in question 'Forgotten Pubs of Sheffield' has provided many customers with a talking point over that past two years and it is a great shame to see it lost.

If that is the way certain people want to act after a few drinks all at the Kelham are quite glad to take their custom elsewhere

Thanks for the congratulations at me becoming Chairman of Sheffield & District CAMRA.

However I don't think this complaint really involves CAMRA and I wasn't at the pub at the time to witness it, I would suggest the most appropriate way of resolving it may be a private conversation between the people involved.

Yes many congratulations to Andy C. But just to clarify a few things regarding what happened.

1. The picture wasn't broken earlier in the day

2. There was only one person in the toilet at the time I heard the smash

3. On asking a customer it the smash had been in the front room or the kitchen I next checked the gents toilet

4. Another customer had entered the toilet and directed my attention to the broken glass.

5. The guy who had originally occupied the gents left and sat down with the group which we ejected.

6. I then had to screw the remaining bits of the frame off the wall (what was left of it had be pulled so far forward the frame had cracked and the glass smashed.

When the person in question was quizzed about what happened they first denied knowing anything about the incident, the said the picture 'fell off the wall' while he was in there (even the remaining frame had to be unscrewed from the wall).

On leaving one member of the group became very aggressive and started mouthing off to the staff behind the bar.

If someone entered your own home and without any premeditation started smashing up your possessions would you be very pleased. The group in question should be thankful they were asked to leave without the police being called.

The picture in question 'Forgotten Pubs of Sheffield' has provided many customers with a talking point over that past two years and it is a great shame to see it lost.

If that is the way certain people want to act after a few drinks all at the Kelham are quite glad to take their custom elsewhere

Different to how I remember it, but then again I was just observing, and not an interested party.

However when you say one of the group became abusive, I certainly remember the first person to raise his voice was a member of the barstaff, and the chap was only replying in kind. The chap who you say was abusive never swore, he was just trying to explain it wasn't a member of their group that had done it and they'd not be coming back.

You shouted after them that you'd be phoning other pubs so they wouldn't be let in. Disgraceful. And I know you followed out this threat as I was drinking in your local area last night and was talking to the barman of one of the pubs you phoned. They let them in as it happens, and said they were a decent group of blokes.

I could pick holes with half of what is written that I saw, which is why I do not believe the rest which I did not observe.

As a footnote, why did you not call the Police, as the chap actually mentioned that to you? Selective memory.

Seems like Mr Williams has caused a right storm!!

Purely out of interest (and also cos i'm a nosey git!), does anyone know if Lewis or Trevor were about when the "picturegate" incident took place?

I wouldn't be put off going by one small altercation to be honest, all the awards they've won over the last few years pretty much speak volumes for the hard work put in.

Archived